Suggestions for hides for Russian tortoise outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone,

I just completed building an outdoor enclosure for a Russian tortoise who I will picking up from rescue next saturday (Aug 06 2011). I need a couple of good hides for the RT. I would appreaciate any suggestions. Thank You

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My smaller ones use cinder blocks. For bigger ones you can always bury a pot or two.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
All good suggestions. I salvaged the unused top part of a kitty litter pan. I covered it with that coco fiber matting they use to line wire pots, and mounded dirt and rocks up around the sides.
One of their favorite spots to bask is on top!
Depends on your weather. If it is really hot, the cinderblocks (one layer) covered with a piece of wood with some dirt around/on top for insulation makes a great cool spot.
If it is rainy, an igloo or similar small dog house with some Timothy hay in it is nice.
Keep an eye on Craigslist, people advertise a lot of dog houses of various shapes.
Russians also like to burrow under plants like hostas or grasses like Carex.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a couple of bricks layed out with a board over the top.. or a planted plant.. mine is a spider plant and natural grasses.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I used an empty 5 gal bucket cut the handle off then cut in half sprayed with that rock texture paint then sealed it :) here's a pic of the smaller one for the little guys I also have a bigger one but no pic

outside010.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
coreyc said:
I used an empty 5 gal bucket cut the handle off then cut in half sprayed with that rock texture paint then sealed it :) here's a pic of the smaller one for the little guys I also have a bigger one but no pic

outside010.jpg

I am going to look into that rock texture paint, that looks much more natural :)

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks a lot for all these great ideas, much appreciated. I will post photos of the finished enclosure soon. Thanks again.

Brandon Griswold

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Overturned flowerpots, half-flowerpots, and half-logs.

BTW:
coreyc said:

Does the substrate in that picture consist solely of rocks? I would think that is bad for their plastron, wouldn't you?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I use overturned flower plants and also a flower planter upside down with a hole in the side. I also have plants. I don't have a russian, but I think a hide is a hide :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a cute little dog house filled with dried grass in my Russian tortoise pen. But they never use it. I always find them dug into the dirt under a clump of roots.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Overturned flowerpots, half-flowerpots, and half-logs.

BTW:
coreyc said:

Does the substrate in that picture consist solely of rocks? I would think that is bad for their plastron, wouldn't you?

That hide is one of three it's on the rocks so if they are walking on the rocks and want to get out of the sun they can:) the section of rocks is a small part of the enclosure the other two hides are on soil but they usually hide in the grass any way :tort: they walk on sand and rock's in the wild don't they:D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
coreyc said:
That hide is one of three it's on the rocks so if they are walking on the rocks and want to get out of the sun they can:) the section of rocks is a small part of the enclosure the other two hides are on soil but they usually hide in the grass any way :tort: they walk on sand and rock's in the wild don't they:D

Okay, as long as they have other options, then it's a good set up.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
emysemys said:
I have a cute little dog house filled with dried grass in my Russian tortoise pen. But they never use it. I always find them dug into the dirt under a clump of roots.

Knowing Russians, they would probably only try to go in there if you tried to keep them out, lol

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
lynnedit said:
emysemys said:

Knowing Russians, they would probably only try to go in there if you tried to keep them out, lol

haha, so true!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Mine have a "cave"... It is made out of cement slabs, lined with an oval shaped trashcan that has the back end slightly elevated and holes drilled in it for drainage. The top is a large flat rock that doubles as a basking area. They do use it, but they also have burrows that they dug themselves and use those just as often.

KristinasPictures265.jpg

KristinasPictures253.jpg

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
Kristina said:
Mine have a "cave"... It is made out of cement slabs, lined with an oval shaped trashcan that has the back end slightly elevated and holes drilled in it for drainage. The top is a large flat rock that doubles as a basking area. They do use it, but they also have burrows that they dug themselves and use those just as often.

KristinasPictures265.jpg

KristinasPictures253.jpg

Awesome hide! Thanks for the example and photos.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I have 6 hides for my 3 Russians, they only use 3 of them. Mine seem to like a tight fit. In fact my big female digs in at night and fills the entry so she has to dig her way out in the morning.
The hides most used are pots from trees/shrubs that came from home depot. I dig a hole and drop in the pot. Backfill and cover with rocks. Here is a photo.
DSC_0257.jpg

This is made from block and they never go in...
2011-04-15_08-35-39_911.jpg

And yes I know that'd a redfoot, she is not in that pen anymore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.