Outdoor substrate for Russian

Mistabagel12

5 Year Member
Hi all, just starting building an outdoor enclosure for my russian, Vladimir. I don't want to use the ground in my backyard because the grass grows extremely quick and it will be difficult to maintain. Plus I'm afraid of dampness problems. My plan is to dig down a couple inches or so and place a tarp with holes in it for drainage. I am then going to place substrate on top of that. I was thinking purely coco coir but figured I would go hear for some suggestions. Thanks

Mistabagel12

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot. Do u see any potential problems with my tarp idea? I figure it's a good way to control the substrate while also preventing any escape via digging.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Top soil sand mix works well. You can have spots with grass for grazing as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can tear through a tarp, especially if it already has starter holes in it. You need at least 6-8" of substrate for a russian.

Real dirt is best, but orchid bark would be my second favorite. I would not use any sand. It can cause impactions over time as they eat little bits of it stuck to their food.

If your dirt will be too damp, then any other substrate will be too damp too. Where is the dampness coming from?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
They can tear through a tarp, especially if it already has starter holes in it. You need at least 6-8" of substrate for a russian.

Real dirt is best, but orchid bark would be my second favorite. I would not use any sand. It can cause impactions over time as they eat little bits of it stuck to their food.

If your dirt will be too damp, then any other substrate will be too damp too. Where is the dampness coming from?

Do you prefer orchid bark over cypress mulch. If so, what's the reason?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you are worried about grass growth and drainage, then why not build a raised bed enclosure, instead of digging down?

Put down thick layers of newspaper or cardboard to kill the grass underneath. Build a raised bed, perhaps 24-30" tall. Line the base with 4-6" of gravel (drainage rock) to improve drainage. Or, you can lay bricks or pavers with spaces in between for even better protection from escape.
Then add 8-12" of topsoil.

You can use treated wood 2x 12's, or exterior plywood. A 4-8' sheet can be cut in 1/2 for you at a lumber store, into two 24"x8' pieces. You can use any number of these to make your enclosure any size you want: 4x8' or 4x 16', in a rectangle or 'L' shape.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you prefer orchid bark over cypress mulch. If so, what's the reason?

Yes. Because orchid bark just lays better where cypress mulch tends to have a lot of bigger pieces and jagged edges sticking out everywhere. Cypress mulch works fine, but I prefer Orchid bark.