Benegige

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I recently bought a tortoise from a breeder on the 8th of August. A five year old Russian tortoise. For the first few days he didn’t want to eat. I figured it was probably because the temperature in his enclosure wasn’t right or maybe because he was just getting used to his new environment. I moved him to a bigger enclosure, fixed the temperature and made sure to keep him hydrated by giving him 20-30 mins soaks in warm water. Finally he started eating this last week. We had to hand feed him romaine lettuce cause it was all he’d eat and wasn’t into any of the grasses/hay, kale, or any of the spring mix we offered. But I didn’t mind doing it as long as he’d eat and have his tummy full. Not even the Mazuri pellets peaked his interest. But he was slowly getting more active. He walked around a bunch in his enclosure, the temperature was right, he’d go soak by himself in his water bowl. He’d bask in the light. He’d gone to the bathroom normally. I thought everything was fine. This morning, the 20th of August. he seemed fine, a bit smelly so I figured I’d give him a bath ( Using warm water and a soft Toothbrush) later once it got warmer in the day. He was moving around just fine this morning. Going to his bowl, going under his hide, walking around the enclosure. He wouldn’t eat this morning though so I figured I’d feed him later. I came by to check up on him and his head was sunk into his shell and he wasn’t moving? I thought that was weird? I pick him up and one eye is opened his other eye is half closed. His jaw is slightly opened and he wasn’t moving. I freaked out. I tried rubbing his shell. Putting him in his water bowl. Tugging his legs a bit to see if he moved. Nothing. And he smells even worse now. Did my baby just die?!? How?! I be only had him for a Bit more than a week?? I’m so depressed I can’t believe it. Why did he die!??.....

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes things happen. Clearly it was not your fault. I am thinking possibly parasites but I don’t know.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I would talk the breeder you got him from. If he is 5 years old he is probably wild caught, and it would not be unlikely for him to have parasites.