Concerned about my tortoise!! (Hibernation question)

abi87

Hi everyone

I’m looking for advise please. My Russian tortoise is four years old and I decided to hibernate him this year with keeping a log of his healthy weight and growth over the years. I prepared him by cutting down his food intake and reducing his heat lamp over a period of time and eventually he was eating less and I stopped his feed altogether for a period of time so that his bowels and stomach was empty of food but ensured he’d had as much water as possible and gave him plenty of baths. He became very sleepy and went to sleep for a few days. I put him into a small cardboard box and lined it, and placed that cardboard box into a bigger box which had insulation in. He was kept in a cool place at 5 degrees. He was sound asleep for two days and as I kept checking on him and then one morning I popped into the room to check on him and he’d busted out of the box and was walking on the floor??? So I popped him back into his table, as he was been wide awake and since then he’s been so restless, trashing his table, digging in the corners, not a happy bunny and getting up at unusual times early in the morning and in the middle of the night which is unlike him. I decided to try and get him back into a routine and to feed him again and bath him but he hasn’t touched any of his food! I really don’t know what to do? Has anyone got any advise please?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I would keep him up. Make sure your temps are right, and provide food daily. Soak daily.