stuff for beginners!

baldegale

WHERE TO GET STUFF CHEAPER

•dollar store

12in pie pans make for good water dishes

they also have plastic saucers for under pots but those are very disposable and dont clean well, id rather use the metal pie pans.

anti fungal foot cream! great for shell fungus and works just as good as anything else. a must have! (brought to my attention by @ZEROPILOT )

an obvious one, toothbrushes. good for cleaning all sorts of things!

they also have spray bottles but theyre not very good quality, id rather spend the extra couple bucks for a good one.

•bedding

I always use this company for my coco coir, shipping can be a bit pricey but including shipping if you break it down its still cheaper than any place ive found: https://www.earthscapeusa.com/onlin...on-p51658828?gclid=CKbQ4tSWxdICFUc6gQod8HUMLg

THINGS IVE LEARNED

•lighting

ive used these on multiple occasions now for lights as they cost all together $3 and some change. they work great for CHEs and basking bulbs of the sorts
IMG_7935.JPG
(will post links to this in the next post)

•sliding door tracks

when i was building my bearded dragon tank i spent a solid hour at home depot staring at plexiglass trying to figure out what to use as a track, then i came across this stuff called “J channel” its really meant to hang up mirrors but if you sandwich plexi in between two channels it works perfectly as a track. (will post a link for this in next post aswell)

•Hides for a redfoot

this was something i always had trouble with just because of how tall a redfoots shell is. i ended up coming across i think its a hamster hide? it costs i think $10 at petsmart/petco IMG_0018.JPG
heres a pic of it! (also including the pie pan i mentioned earlier) sorry its a crappy pic, lights just went out!

•temp controllers

this one i learned after getting a snake, also a personal preference too, but i personally dont like the analog zilla temp controllers. i 100% recommend going with the Jumpstart digital temp controller! it is way more accurate and easy to use. its only $35 on amazon and everyone i know who uses it loves it.

•timers

also another personal preference, but having a power center thats a timer for your lights makes life a lot easier in my opinion. lights go on and off at consistent times and creates a better day/night cycle for your animal.

•prices when it comes to building enclosures

this is a simple one, ALWAYS go Home Depot if you can. every enclosure ive built ive compared prices for the same exact build between Home Depot and Lowes and Home Depot is always cheaper by $10-$20

•tempguns

when you own any reptile that needs specific temps its an essential to have a temp gun to make sure your temps are right and to adjust your temp controller/dimmer accordingly

•checking CHEs

ALWAYS check your CHEs every day or two to make sure theyre still working, thats the only downfall to them not producing light.

•dont cheap out on everything

i know its natural to want the deals, but theres certain things you dont go cheap with. some stuff: Temp controllers, Lamps (ive found that the cheap ones the on/off switch breaks constantly), any type of bulb, UVB, waterproofing, and most importantly your tortoises health.

•temperature gauges

never get the analog stick on glass junk. you can always go on amazon, to walmart, and to any hardware store and pick up an acurite digital hygrometer and thermometer combo. the analog ones can sometimes be off by 20+ in some cases. another reason why an IR temp reader is important.

•glass enclosures

theres pretty much no reason to buy a glass enclosure, its a waste of time and money when you can spend $150 or less and build a giant dream enclosure yourself. its a lot less daunting once you get started, i promise.

•UVB

TUBE UVBs ARE EVERYTHING!!! never EVER waste your money on a coil UVB.

thats all i can think of for now, ill post more if i learn more (were always learning) i know most of you know a lot of this stuff but this post isnt aimed towards the veterans, its more towards the beginners. but hey! if you learned something too, im glad!

anyone feel free to add onto this aswell! im always excited to learn.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Great idea!

Personally I've never had a CHE fail. I used one for over 5 years.

This is the temperature controller I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

For larger tortoises heating, I use these: http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels in the ceiling

and https://www.kanemfg.com/product/poly-pet-heat-mat/ on the floor.

For door strips I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Plastic-...817275?hash=item4b0f64e37b:g:eyMAAOSwj0NUbmnx
offered by a seller on ebay. You can order exactly what you need instead of having to buy an entire roll.

baldegale

Great idea!

This is the temperature controller I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

For larger tortoises heating, I use these: http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels in the ceiling

and https://www.kanemfg.com/product/poly-pet-heat-mat/ on the floor.

For door strips I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Plastic-...817275?hash=item4b0f64e37b:g:eyMAAOSwj0NUbmnx
offered by a seller on ebay. You can order exactly what you need instead of having to buy an entire roll.

i never thought of that! ive been meaning to use vinyl, you can go to fabric stores and just buy clear vinyl

baldegale

Great idea!

me too, but generally its the fixture thats failed for me. ive had 3 fixtures break, all in the on/off switch or the wires getting so hot the insulation becomes brittle and breaks off (thats fixable though)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
me too, but generally its the fixture thats failed for me. ive had 3 fixtures break, all in the on/off switch or the wires getting so hot the insulation becomes brittle and breaks off (thats fixable though)
Do you use the ceramic-base fixtures or the Bakelite (plastic) base?

baldegale

Do you use the ceramic-base fixtures or the Bakelite (plastic) base?

ceramic! i wish i had pictures of the wires to show you what happened, alls i did was cut the wires and use a new section and it worked perfectly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then maybe you need to use a wire frame instead of the aluminum bell dome they come with.

baldegale

Then maybe you need to use a wire frame instead of the aluminum bell dome they come with.

i didnt even use the dome, i think thats what the problem was. all the heat was going up rather than down, i use a dome now and it seems to be doing better

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC

Are you using these as a covering for an opening that the tort is able to walk through? If you’re using it in another way, can you explain or share pics? Do you seal the seams between pieces?

I clicked on the eBay link, and I have to say, the last pic in the listing just weirds me out! It’s bizarrely suggestive. “What will you get with the money you save?....” A woman? It’s almost like she’s trying to hypnotize us!
B1589034-2375-43D9-B3EC-A39B9F94BE32.jpeg

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Are you using these as a covering for an opening that the tort is able to walk through? If you’re using it in another way, can you explain or share pics? Do you seal the seams between pieces?

I clicked on the eBay link, and I have to say, the last pic in the listing just weirds me out! It’s bizarrely suggestive. “What will you get with the money you save?....” A woman? It’s almost like she’s trying to hypnotize us!
View attachment 228880

I would guess he means a walk through , to hold the heat inside the night box . Like this ;

100_03.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

View attachment 228880
I agree, that picture is odd!

I use it just like Speedy said. I don't have a picture currently. Maybe I can get one tomorrow. I overlapped the pieces and attached them to a board at the top. He can push his way through to go in and out. The plastic is thick enough that I don't need to use multiple layers.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

View attachment 228880
The strips are overlapped about 2 inches. There are 4 strips across.
charlie 2018 1 29 002.jpg