General stuff.

Location (City and/or State)
Manila philippines
Hi, just a quick question again, does champi need to be in direct sunlight for him to cope up with his calcium needs? I mean as in direct? Or does he only need to be in the light? Or to not be in the dark, because rainy season started for about two weeks now, i mean his enclosure never gets cold, its always warm, temps are stable at 95-100 degrees but sunlight rarely comes nowadays. Its been 2 months since i had him and he hasn't made any signs that he might be in distress. Only thing he does is that he is always wanting to come out of his enclosure, he poops well, i soak him 3x a week and he eats well, too well i think and also now has his own cuttlebone, im just thinking that things might be too good to be true, because things have been pretty easy so far.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Sunlight is always better than the bulb. When you have sunny days, let him be out in the sun (and areas to escape the heat of the sun). How big is his enclosure?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The sun is a necessity for: human beings, animals as well as plants.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Without direct sunlight or a correct type of UVB bulb, he can't process calcium or digest food. It will result in calcium deficiency and to metabolic bone disease.
Once you can "SEE" a problem, it may already be too late to stop it.
Do you have an electric UVB light source?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he was in the sun before the rainy season when there is now no sun, he will be ok until the sun comes out again.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The sun is a necessity for: human beings, animals as well as plants.

Except for some of those cool cave dwelling animals that don't have pigment or eyes and such. Or really deep sea. Cool stuff abounds!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think if he has received regular exposure to sunlight , and it continues after the rainy season he should be fine . I think they may go through similar conditions in a natural environment !

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your question seems more about cloudy days. There is enough UV exposure on cloudy days to provide what your tortoise needs to metabolize D3 is what is needed to then metabolize calcium.

You apparently are in a part of the world where even though extended cloudy days persist, it is still quite warm. As long as your tortoise is getting outside time he will be fine as far as UV requirements.

Ever get a sunburn on a cloudy day?

Manila philippines
Sunlight is always better than the bulb. When you have sunny days, let him be out in the sun (and areas to escape the heat of the sun). How big is his enclosure?

Its pretty big for his size, lts about 24x12 he gets around very well, sun eventually gets in the enclosure direct light even, and i provided him with a cardboard box cave so he could retreat to it.

Manila philippines
Without direct sunlight or a correct type of UVB bulb, he can't process calcium or digest food. It will result in calcium deficiency and to metabolic bone disease.
Once you can "SEE" a problem, it may already be too late to stop it.
Do you have an electric UVB light source?

No heat lamps as of the moment, but im thinking about getting one now, cuz he had no immediate need for it until now,

Manila philippines
If he was in the sun before the rainy season when there is now no sun, he will be ok until the sun comes out again.

Yes, he was he always is, the small pockets of sunlight get thru to him, but it passes thru his plastic enclosure, but often times i take him out to walk and sun. By the way, can i use calcium lactate as calcium supplement for him? Orally ofcourse.

Manila philippines
I think if he has received regular exposure to sunlight , and it continues after the rainy season he should be fine . I think they may go through similar conditions in a natural environment !

I guess so, im still worried tho, but he seems okay too me, color is good, size is very good, appetite and fecal matters are very well, he even stopped pooping the white stuff now.

Manila philippines
Your question seems more about cloudy days. There is enough UV exposure on cloudy days to provide what your tortoise needs to metabolize D3 is what is needed to then metabolize calcium.

You apparently are in a part of the world where even though extended cloudy days persist, it is still quite warm. As long as your tortoise is getting outside time he will be fine as far as UV requirements.

Ever get a sunburn on a cloudy day?

Thankyou, thats what i wanted to know, because even when i take him out he doesn't want to stay on direct sunlight, as direct rays here could actually burn you if you stay out too long. He just goes to shade and basks. Very helpfull thanks. :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I guess so, im still worried tho, but he seems okay too me, color is good, size is very good, appetite and fecal matters are very well, he even stopped pooping the white stuff now.
It is normal for them to "poop the white stuff." Do a search on the forum for urates.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I would have more than just a cardboard box as an escape from heat. It's not the deep shade they need to actually escape from the heat. Having a burrow under a tree would be a good example of deep shade that's cool