Stubborn Phteven

Patorikku

Below is Phteven. Originally, Phtevanie, until we realized she was a he, lol. Anyways, we are traveling, so that's why his enclosure is a bit smaller. He loves to spread his meals out and walk over them all before he eats them. I say he's stubborn because always "hissing" and hiding his head, refusing to hand feed, crawls in near impossible places to reach and gets stuck, etc. We let him roam around our home for a couple of hours a day, until he decides it's sleep time again. Being from Tennessee, I'm technically not allowed to even have a pet turtle/tortoise (yes, stupid laws) but he was bought on a trip to Pennsylvania. We home school, so I can have him "for educational purposes". The kids love him and enjoy helping keep watch over him as he roams. I'm debating on fashioning a leash for him so when we go to the park he can roam the area a bit.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465482211.574910.jpg

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
You can't have a turtle as a pet in Tennessee?

Hand feeding isn't recommended, so I wouldn't worry about that. It can lead to issues such as biting or eating issues.

You should be aware that the general recommendation is to not let them roam the house nor be taken in public spaces (such as the park).

As for the rest of it, once you have him in a 'permanent' large indoor/outdoor enclosure and he gets comfortable in his 'territory', some of the rest of what you consider negative behaviour might resolve.

Patorikku

By park, I just mean a large grassy area that has a play set on a small part in the corner. I wouldn't be socializing him with random kids, lol.

Rue

Canada
Yes...no play dates with random children. :)

The concern is more about picking up parasites (from dog or cat feces), or being exposed to pesticides used in the park.

Patorikku

They don't really use pesticides in the main grass part of the park and I've only ever seen two dogs at the entire thing. Law requires feces to be picked up and tossed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! A cute little tort.:tort:

Please do not pick up your tort unless necessary: torts do not like that,they do not like to be cuddled-unlike dogs/cats. And give your tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration, especially if you live in a dry climate, like I do (Jordan).

Patorikku

Well, I've stated in two posts, including this one that I'm from Tennessee, so I'm no where near as arid as Jordan.

Anyways, yes, it is illegal to own, buy, and sell turtles/tortoises in the state of Tennessee UNLESS you grandfathered into it, for educational reasons, breeding reasons (yes, you can breed them and sell them out of state!), and for consumption. This all goes back to a careless teacher allowing her students to play with the classroom turtle and they contracted salmonella. This is ironic because schools can still have turtles/tortoises but the general public can't, all do to a mistake a school made! I actually have a Facebook group devoted to this and am trying to get state legislators to remove this law, as one can still have pet lizards, snakes, and amphibians, all of which can easily carry salmonella.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well, I've stated in two posts, including this one that I'm from Tennessee, so I'm no where near as arid as Jordan.

Anyways, yes, it is illegal to own, buy, and sell turtles/tortoises in the state of Tennessee UNLESS you grandfathered into it, for educational reasons, breeding reasons (yes, you can breed them and sell them out of state!), and for consumption. This all goes back to a careless teacher allowing her students to play with the classroom turtle and they contracted salmonella. This is ironic because schools can still have turtles/tortoises but the general public can't, all do to a mistake a school made! I actually have a Facebook group devoted to this and am trying to get state legislators to remove this law, as one can still have pet lizards, snakes, and amphibians, all of which can easily carry salmonella.
Fair enough, but I do not know what the climate is like there.;)

Rue

Canada

It's odd how these laws get passed...and how often they just don't make sense...

Patorikku

It's odd how these laws get passed...and how often they just don't make sense...

I know. If anyone is interested in joining the group on FB, just message me. The law is so contradictory it is beyond funny.