Cracks in shell and New enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. T's Owner

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Central Missouri
We had posted in the "Introduction Forum" but though we would move into the RT for more specific help.
Here is a picture of our latest enclosure setup. We got him at PetCo and he was very lethargic at first. We learned a lot from this forum (thanks to all) and made a lot of changes. He seems to be more active now and roams around his new home.
My latest concern his his dry looking or cracks in his shell. They are not huge cracks but just looks excessively dry. The attached picture shows some substrate covering the cracks and he gets very irritated when I brush or wash it off his shell. I give him a bath daily hoping it helps. Should I bath him in more than a 1/2 inch water?:(

Attachments

• IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • 100_1992.JPG
    100_1992.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 130
  • 100_1991.JPG
    100_1991.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 84

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
His shell looks fine to me. I'm not sure what you mean about cracks. Do you mean the spaces between the scutes?

Mr. T's Owner

5 Year Member
South Central Missouri
I was worried about the spaces between the scutes. Only in places are they big enough to see.
He is doing much better since when we first got him. We have done so much to make sure we do the right thing for the little guy, I just get nervous.
Today I just replaced an older plastic lamp with a ceramic one and put all the lights on timers. I guess I can sleep better tonight :)
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The spaces between the scutes is where the new growth happens. It is pretty tender until it hardens up, so that's why he's not fond of you messing with it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good job!

You can bathe in 1" or a bit more of water. Just so he can sit in it comfortably, w/o having to reach to keep his head above water.

Work on getting some of the darker greens:
Look at the list on http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm
Spring mix (less or no spinach is better) works well as a good base in the winter when weeds are scarce.

keep asking questions!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If the cracks look a little too 'deep' to you, maybe he/she was just kept a bit too dry at the pet store. You can help by misting his shell and making sure his substrate doesn't dry out too much, and also pour a little water over his shell while he's bathing.
Don't ever put anything but water on your tort's shell though (don't use Vitashell or mineral oil or any nonsense like that).

emysemys said:
The spaces between the scutes is where the new growth happens. It is pretty tender until it hardens up, so that's why he's not fond of you messing with it.

Mr. T's Owner

5 Year Member
South Central Missouri
UPDATE>>>
Mr T is doing great! We still bathe him every other day and leave him alone the rest of the time. The biggest difference it seems it turning off the night time heat light. It now drops down to 60+ degrees F at night and now he is very active during the day. So much so that he is tearing up the place a bit. I'm ok with that as apposed to hiding for days on end. He still burrows a bit at night. But exploring his enclosure all day, bathing himself and eating better.
Thank you all so much for the great advice. All though I find a lot of advice, which sometimes contradicts each other, and have to weed through to find what works for us ( it's my 10 yr old daughter's tort that she saved her own money for, but as her dad, I do most of the research and work to make sure it is well cared for) we are doing well.
My daughter has learned a lot and is very responsible and loves checking the forum! We recently lost a cat to the local highway and she took it poorly. I'd hate for Mr T do not make it.
Again, thank you all for the success of our active healthy tort. He's exploring and having fun and sleeping well.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.