Billy is SO stubborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Okay the first day of his meds, I was able to get most of it down him by putting a drop of it on each leaf as he ate.

The second day I was able to sneak the syringe in his mouth when he went to bite a leaf, and most of the meds in his mouth in one squirt.

The third day, he refused to eat when I was sitting there. He was not going to be tricked again, and was not going to take a bite of food as long as he could see me. So I put a little bit on each leaf of his food and left him. He ate a few leaves but not much, as he really hates that medicine and doesn't want to eat anything covered in it.

Day four was supposed to be the last day of this round of meds (only to do this again in three weeks). I tried to pry his mouth open. No go. So I just left him a little bite of tomato to see if he'd eat that (he's a picky eater), with no meds on it. He ate that, but wouldn't eat his greens, even with OUT the meds on it. Didn't I say he was stubborn?!?

So today, since he liked that tomato, I cute up a baby tomato and put a drop of medicine in each peice. Would it surprise you if I say he won't eat it now?!?!?!

So I've wasted two doses of medicine. And I don't know how to get it in him. Little bugger!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Sorry Kelly he's being stuborn...darn boy :p
Ive heard of torts going off food when on meds...I wonder if thats it too??

Tell him Aunt Tracy said " Eat your veggies" maybe that will help:p

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
LOL Maybe Aunt Tracy should come on over and MAKE him eat his veggies!!! :p

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Our guy fell for tiny piece of shredded apple with his meds for 2 days and on Radicchio leaves one day.

Is your vet close? Ours had offered to dose him for free if we brought him in.

What is he on? Sometimes they can flavor different meds., the 2 choices are usually fruit or fish...

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
He's on Panacur. T he vet said normally they like the taste. Hmmm....

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
cvalda said:
He's on Panacur. T he vet said normally they like the taste. Hmmm....

Sounds like the pharamacist who couldn't understand why our son hated the taste of liquid prednisone..."it's flavored" I asked her if she'd ever actually tasted it because I had and it tastes like battery acid...

I think your guy has a good handle on self preservation...in the wild I would not be eating this;) I hope you find a way for him to take it without the struggle...have you tried it mixed in with some of that Tortoise Yummies?
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca..._id=55&zenid=904042989b11276f50fb98d9e1a4f93f

Our local big box pet store carries these too. The cactus and the grass have a strong fresh smell and Calvin dives into his little dollop before he eats anything else...

Not that anyone like shots but is there a Panacur one time shot they could do?

Status
Not open for further replies.