Horsefield tortoise scratches terrarium walls

Supermau

Hi, I have had my Horsefield tortoise (Shelldon) for quite a few years now, and its now a habit that he scratches the sides of his terrarium, I originally thought he just wanted to go out, so every once in a while (pretty much daily) I take him out and let him roam my room (wish I had a garden). For the first 3 minutes he just tries to find a way back into the terrarium and then just roams around. Still confused why he scratches the walls so often. Please help

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
They scratch when they are making themselves comfortable to go to sleep. But I would suspect that he needs a much bigger enclosure and deeper substrate. My tortoise scratched much much less frequently when I added more substrate. You can also try blocking his sightlines by putting paper on the outside of it so he can't see out. do you have a picture of the enclosure so that we could give other suggestions if needed?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Even though small in size, they roam a lot in the wild, covering a lot of ground. I'm going to guess he is in too small of an enclosure. Try to add on to what you have or build a bigger one. Also, it's not safe for the tortoise to roam your room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and type of enclosure are you using? What substrate and how deep?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

He needs a bigger enclosure. Well, he really needs to be set up outside, but that will have to wait until springtime.

You'd be surprised how quiet they get when they're set up properly. Read our care sheet at the top of the russian tortoise section.

Supermau

Hi guys, thanks for all the help, ill make sure to post a picture tomorrow asap, had to move shelldon's terrarium out of my room because he was making a crap ton of noise today

Supermau

Also, forgot to mention its made of wood, not glass, so he cant really see through it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, forgot to mention its made of wood, not glass, so he cant really see through it

Can you tell us what size the enclosure is? When they incessantly try to get out, it often indicates a problem.

Are you using a coil type cfl bulb for UV?
What are your four temperatures and what equipment are you using to achieve them? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Thats tge picture withiut the lamp
theres some really major problems with your torts enclosure. 1. the minimum cage requirements for an adult russian is 4ft by 8ft he does all that scratching because he is stressed out. 2 the substrate is really dry, rabbit pellets can't hold humidity, he needs moist substrate. 3. he needs a water bowl where he can fit his entire body in to drink.

Supermau

theres some really major problems with your torts enclosure. 1. the minimum cage requirements for an adult russian is 4ft by 8ft he does all that scratching because he is stressed out. 2 the substrate is really dry, rabbit pellets can't hold humidity, he needs moist substrate. 3. he needs a water bowl where he can fit his entire body in to drink.
Thank you so much for the help, i will make sure to follow your tips right away. Also, is there a specific kind of substrate that absorbs humidity?

Supermau

Also, would it work if i took out the wall on the left and attached an equal cage? I saw that people have done it.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Connecting enclosures can work. Building is easier to get the size you need. Coco coir and orchid bark are both good options. Definitely add a water dish he can sit in. Terra cota plant saucers work really great.

Kenzi W

How qould I go about getting them moist though
You can get a squirt bottle, or just pour water on the substrate and mix it all up. I use the ReptaFogger to keep the humidity up in my enclosure along with keeping his soil damp/moist.

Dylan & Rocky

My little fella was scratching for the first five weeks after having him but then I realised all he wanted to do was see me! So I let him out regularly and let him roam the house. He loves it!