What can I put down on ground to protect tortoise from stones?

Honey001

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham UK
So recently the grass in my garden was replaced with stones but this means I will have to put some type of mat down when I set my tortoises outdoor enclosure up as he always tries to eat stones and also I don’t think his little legs would enjoy climbing over them all day. I just need something that I can place down and set his summer enclosure up around and then after a few days when the weather isn’t hot enough, I can just roll it up and pack it away. Any ideas on what would be safe to use?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to find a place that a natural substrate like the ground can be used
Anything like you are talking about wanting is not natural or recommend.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try to see if you can find an all natural, no additives, coconut coir mat. Real ground though is best.

Honey001

Birmingham UK
Try to see if you can find an all natural, no additives, coconut coir mat. Real ground though is best.
I have absolutely no where in my garden now with natural substrate that’s why I’m pretty desperate for some type of mat. I will try and have a look for that!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would use a suitable size tarpaulin as a base for the enclosure, and place cement blocks on the borders to make a wall, then add the substrate, (leaves, branches, larger rocks, pool, hides etc. But that's just me!!! I would also protect the tortoise from predators by putting wire mesh supported by a frame, across the top.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TammyJ had a good idea! I like it!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would use a suitable size tarpaulin as a base for the enclosure, and place cement blocks on the borders to make a wall, then add the substrate, (leaves, branches, larger rocks, pool, hides etc. But that's just me!!! I would also protect the tortoise from predators by putting wire mesh supported by a frame, across the top.
Tammy. I don't believe you did not close the brackets! Tsk Tsk!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So recently the grass in my garden was replaced with stones but this means I will have to put some type of mat down when I set my tortoises outdoor enclosure up as he always tries to eat stones and also I don’t think his little legs would enjoy climbing over them all day. I just need something that I can place down and set his summer enclosure up around and then after a few days when the weather isn’t hot enough, I can just roll it up and pack it away. Any ideas on what would be safe to use?
I like Tammy's idea too. I would caution you to NOT use that realistic looking fake grass that is for sale now. Its made of UV protected plastic, and many animals will try to eat it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
And you used the word "but" to start a sentence, and you used a period instead of a comma there... But whose really checking???

:D
But. It's called "Poetic License". Lol!!!