Stones as landscaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was just wondering why a lot of indoor tort setups have stones in them, usually around the water dish. Not flat rocks but stones, a lot of them are polished and very slippery looking. I wouldn't think they would be good for the torts to walk on especially if they get wet being around water dishes. I did not add stones to my leopards indoor home but he does have a few flat rocks to climb on. Am I missing something? Should I add some? Are the rocks important to have in their home?
Also when and where do we get to vote on the calendar entries? Is it open to everyone to vote on?
Thanks to all responders.
Hope all have recovered from candy over load.:D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I don't have an answer for the stones, maybe they just look slippery. I'm guessing it's for decoration and to help with getting in and out of the dish. I use flatter river rocks. I use them to help with nail trimming and for different things to walk on like they do in the wild. Voting should start in the next day or two. I think it's in the "photo & video" section. I believe everyone can vote! I ate so much candy this year!!! Thanks for reminding me:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe the rocks are mainly used to make the water dishes more shallow.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Momof4 said:
I don't have an answer for the stones, maybe they just look slippery. I'm guessing it's for decoration and to help with getting in and out of the dish. I use flatter river rocks. I use them to help with nail trimming and for different things to walk on like they do in the wild. Voting should start in the next day or two. I think it's in the "site announcements" section. I believe everyone can vote! I ate so much candy this year!!! Thanks for reminding me:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was hoping they weren't needed. I also have flat rocks, two different kinds for different testures, for the same reasons, nails etc.
I see so many enclosures with the stones, I thought maybe I should add some, but they don't look comfortable to walk on or safe, rollovers, so if they aren't needed I will stick with my flat rocks.

I bought to much candy and am now eating to much candy:p, good thing it's only once a year, but should be farther away from turkey day and Christmas, two more reasons too eat toooooo much:D

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Also I think they may be a buffer to keep the water from getting dirty. I don't care if the water gets dirty and I don't get the impression my tortoises do either.

We only had one trick or treater. The candy really needs to go, and I'm not a bad enough mom yet to make my 9-year-old eat it all. The hubby really needs to step up to the plate here.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
The ones around the water are likely to try to keep mud out of it. No clue if it works. :) I have stones for 2 reasons. My Greeks like to lay on the flatter ones when they bask, and others are for decoration and breaking up the enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can send any unwanted candy my way, especially peanut butter cups.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
You can send any unwanted candy my way, especially peanut butter cups.

:D. I do miss raiding my kids' stashes the day after. (Hey, I did it in front of them. My kids were really sweet, they would come home and give me some of their treats, normally giving me what would actually be the choice piece or two. :D) No trick or treaters in our village any more. I did grab two bags of candy the day after, when it went on 50% off clearance. :D

To the stones... the ones outside the dishes are to help keep them from tracking substrate into the water dish and to be more visually pleasing or natural looking. In the water dish, stones are used to make it more shallow, help them with ease of getting out of the dish and once more visual appeal. Rocks within the enclosure are to break up the enclosure, to be used a basking sites, to be used for climbing, to be used to naturally wear down nails, to wear down beaks if used as a feeding shelf, to be used as visual barriers, and once more the human eye appeal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks all, that's kinda what I figured but wanted to be sure. We don't get trick or treaters either, but I still buy the candy, my fave. I hide it so I won't eat to much at once, doesn't work, out of sight out of mind, ya right:D.
Everyone have a nice day, thanks for your input and happy next dental checkup.

Status
Not open for further replies.