Still need basking light/UVB light under sun?

Scplim

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Manila Philippines
hello!

My tort has just arrived and I set up a cozy enclosure in my solarium. This is like a greenhouse in the middle of my garden. Here in the Philippines its 35 degrees Celsius...SO HOT!

Does my tort (in a table enclosure exposed to su light) still need his basking light and uvb light constantly on? I worry it gets too hot in his enclosure.

Still waiting for my thermometer/hygrometer to arrive. But safe to assume that summer is so hot nowadays.

Cmv

Yuba City, California
hello!

My tort has just arrived and I set up a cozy enclosure in my solarium. This is like a greenhouse in the middle of my garden. Here in the Philippines its 35 degrees Celsius...SO HOT!

Does my tort (in a table enclosure exposed to su light) still need his basking light and uvb light constantly on? I worry it gets too hot in his enclosure.

Still waiting for my thermometer/hygrometer to arrive. But safe to assume that summer is so hot nowadays.
I’ve never heard of a solarium, but does your tortoise have direct access to sunshine or is it exactly like a greenhouse where light and heat is let in, but no direct sun rays?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is it a baby or adult? And what species of tortoise? It makes a difference.

But generally, the basking light and UVB should be on 12 hours a day on a schedule, like 8AM to 8 PM, or 9 to 9, whatever works for you.

UVB does not penetrate glass, so your window will not only cook your tort, but not supply what he needs.

If he is a hatchling, he should be in a closed chamber, not in an open table.

Scplim

Metro Manila Philippines
I’ve never heard of a solarium, but does your tortoise have direct access to sunshine or is it exactly like a greenhouse where light and heat is let in, but no direct sun rays?
He has access to sunrays but am worried uv may not pass through since the roof is made of clear polyurethane and the walls are made of mesh wire?

Scplim

Metro Manila Philippines
Is it a baby or adult? And what species of tortoise? It makes a difference.

But generally, the basking light and UVB should be on 12 hours a day on a schedule, like 8AM to 8 PM, or 9 to 9, whatever works for you.

UVB does not penetrate glass, so your window will not only cook your tort, but not supply what he needs.

If he is a hatchling, he should be in a closed chamber, not in an open table.
He's 2 months old and a sulcata. Would it be better to give uv during the day or at night? Like is it better to do 8am to 8pm? Or 8pm to 8am? I'm afraid of overheating since my country is so damn hot as it is.

Also I notice he is always in his hide. So i feel like keeping the bulb on is fruitless given he's always in his shade.