How to cool down enclosure?

Scplim

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Manila Philippines
Hello, I ideally wanted to keep my basking light and uvb light on at all times, but am noticing (because I'm in a very hot country) that the temperature of the enclosure is already reaching 35 C. How can I cool it down without having to spray too often and still keep my lights on? I worry that pyramiding will happen if he doesnt get enough UV?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, I ideally wanted to keep my basking light and uvb light on at all times, but am noticing (because I'm in a very hot country) that the temperature of the enclosure is already reaching 35 C. How can I cool it down without having to spray too often and still keep my lights on? I worry that pyramiding will happen if he doesnt get enough UV?
Generally basking and UVB lights are on for 12 hours daily. Do you really mean all the time? 24 hours?

Your tort should have dark for 12 hours each night.

As for your question...are you using a combination basking/UVB bulb? All in one bulb? If you are, you could switch to a fluorescent tube type UVB. They put out very little heat, and supply better more reliable UV.

Then maybe you could use a lower wattage basking bulb? If the enclosure is 35degC, what is the temp of his basking spot?

If this isn't applicable, I don't know how to solve your problem. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Scplim

Metro Manila Philippines
Generally basking and UVB lights are on for 12 hours daily. Do you really mean all the time? 24 hours?

Your tort should have dark for 12 hours each night.

As for your question...are you using a combination basking/UVB bulb? All in one bulb? If you are, you could switch to a fluorescent tube type UVB. They put out very little heat, and supply better more reliable UV.

Then maybe you could use a lower wattage basking bulb? If the enclosure is 35degC, what is the temp of his basking spot?

If this isn't applicable, I don't know how to solve your problem. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
Hello! I was told by the breeder that basking light should be on 24/7 and uvb light on for 12 hours. I only have a general thermometer hygrometer. Can not see how hot it is in some parts vs. Others. I have 1 basking light and 1 uvb light. It seems the uvb one does give off less heat. If I turn the basking light off (my hotter bulb) will that have an effect on his health?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Maybe you could go to a lower wattage bulb. That would make it cooler.

Also, only use the basking light 12 hours. It is simulating the sun, and the sun isn't up 24 hours.

What species is it and how old? That could make a difference too.

I would strongly suggest you get a digital temp gun. You can find one on Amazon for around $25. USD. You point the red light at anything and it shows the temp. You can check each area of his enclosure.

Has he been using his basking spot? You should be able to lay your hand on the spot and leave it there. If you have to remove your hand, it's too hot.

Could you raise your bulb higher? That would help too.

Reactions: Cmv

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Another point...35degC is a good temp for the basking spot. He needs to be able to get away from the heat if he wants. Did you measure that temp at the hot end or the cooler end. Put your thermometer as far away from the heat as possible, and at the tort's shell height.

Hopefully there is a gradient that will afford him the chance to cool off.

Scplim

Metro Manila Philippines
Another point...35degC is a good temp for the basking spot. He needs to be able to get away from the heat if he wants. Did you measure that temp at the hot end or the cooler end. Put your thermometer as far away from the heat as possible, and at the tort's shell height.

Hopefully there is a gradient that will afford him the chance to cool off.
Unfortunately the current temperature in my country is at an all time high of 43C. Its insane. Pretty much anywhere our poor lil tort will go feels too hot. He feels calmer when I soak him in room temp water. Am curious though what I should do to ensure he has enough UVB. I've made the decision to turn it all off. The heat was too much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The breeder is wrong. The tortoise needs it dark at night.

What species are we talking about?

Lack of UV has nothing to do with pyramiding. In fact, we are learning that indoor UV bulbs actually cause pyramiding. If your tortoise gets outside rime a couple or few times a week, then you don't need indoor UV. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. All of our indoor basking and UV bulbs tend to dry out the carapace.

If your basking bulb is making the enclosure too hot, use a lower wattage bulb, or increase ventilation.

franklin444

U.S.A
you can move the lights higher up if that is a possibility in your enclosure.

Your tortoise should also have hi lights scheduled like they would be in real life, on in the day off at night.

Scplim

Metro Manila Philippines
Thanks for the tips everyone. Outside temperature is still at 35 C so I soak him much more often to cool him down. Seems the heat is unavoidable unless I keep his enclosure in an air-conditioned room (which may be too cold).