Spending a lot of time in water dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Hey guys,

I put a tiny water dish in my tortoise enclosure. My tortoise likes to hang out in there a lot. Is something wrong with him or is he just having fun? The water is not deep at all and I change it frequently.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If he wants to soak himself, let him... perhaps get a bigger dish and let the water come up over his plastron.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Could be it's too hot and dry in the rest of the enclosure or there could be another reason for your tortoise's actions. It's tough to tell without knowing the conditions (temperatures, humidity, etc...) that your tortoise is being maintained in. Healthy Mediterranean tortoises generally don't willingly spend long periods of time sitting in water. It may be nothing, but it could also be an indication of a husbandry or health issue. One thing for sure he's not "just having fun".

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know that a couple of the CDTs here will soak for long periods of time (not mediterranean of course :p) while a couple of the others act like you just set them on hot coals and will do anything to get out until it is on their own time....lol...

And the ones who love the water soaks also love to romp in the sprinkler....so, hmmmm? fun? I think so.... :p;)

But the only concern I would keep in mind is that if this tort has not in his normal routine soaked for long periods of time and then suddenly is---this is a behavior change and warrants you keeping an eye on him as well as making sure your enclosure checklist is all in line, as previously mentioned.... :D

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Humidity is a bit low at around 11%. He seems to have given up the long periods of soaking, those days were kind of hot. I keep the basking area about 97-100 with a fan nearby for circulation. Mr. Tibbs seems to be getting more settled in, but sometimes he falls asleep under the basking light and I have to put him in the hide house because its already nighttime and the timer shuts the lamp off.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If he falls asleep under the basking lamp, leave him be. He'll shuffle off if he wants to, even in the dark. He doesn't have to sleep in his hide.

Joe regularly falls asleep under his, knowing he'll get an early morning battery charge of heat I suspect.

You do need to work on humidity levels though. 11% is far too low.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
JoesMum said:
If he falls asleep under the basking lamp, leave him be. He'll shuffle off if he wants to, even in the dark. He doesn't have to sleep in his hide.

Joe regularly falls asleep under his, knowing he'll get an early morning battery charge of heat I suspect.

You do need to work on humidity levels though. 11% is far too low.

What can I do for humidity? I spray the substrate/moss (jungle mix and sphagnum) every other day. I am in SoCal and it's not exactly humid here!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You may need to look at using PlexGlass over the enclosure to keep the humidity in. There are others keeping torts in your state who will be able to help.

It would also be worth looking through the Redfoot boards to see what they do. Redfoots need much higher humidity, so their techniques will help you.

What is certain is that pyramidding is prevented by hydration, humidity and heat. You have the heat, but not the humidity. Given the amount of time he's spending in the water bowl, he is becoming dehydrated because the humidity is so low.

You must soak him every day for a good 30 minutes until you can sort out the humidity levels. Keep spraying and misting too.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I soak everyday, right before feeding. Some days he will hangout for about 10 minutes, other times he want's to get the heck out of there. His urates are smooth, no dehydration there. Maybe I need more moss in the main compartment. Thanks for the heads up!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you can keep the enclosure at a minimum of 80 degrees at all times, even at night, and keep your basking spot hot...then perhaps you can pour warm water right into the substrate immediately under the heat lamp/night heat source...this will allow some humidity while the water evaporates....you can do this every couple of days...misting is fun but alone it does little....I live here in the high desert and so the water pouring and warmth works the best to date....I will also mist if anyone should pop up parched....lol :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
80 degrees at night and warmer during the day for just about any tortoise species is much too hot. Especially for Hermann's, other Mediterranean and any temperate climate species.
One of the primary reasons that baby tortoise "fail to thrive' in captivity is because people keep them consistently much too hot day & night. Young tortoises in this situation are in a constant struggle to remain hydrated due to their low body mass. As well as the potential of accelerated growth to which exposure to constantly high heat is a factor of that growth.
While heat combined with water does raise the humidity level it is not the answer to keeping a tortoise well hydrated. Normal activity level temperatures combined with easy access to drinking water, spraying the enclosure on a regular basis and maintaining an ambient humidity level of 60-75% will suffice to keep any small tortoise hydrated without exposing it to temperatures far too warm on a constant basis.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
GBtortoises said:
80 degrees at night and warmer during the day for just about any tortoise species is much too hot. Especially for Hermann's, other Mediterranean and any temperate climate species.
One of the primary reasons that baby tortoise "fail to thrive' in captivity is because people keep them consistently much too hot day & night. Young tortoises in this situation are in a constant struggle to remain hydrated due to their low body mass. As well as the potential of accelerated growth to which exposure to constantly high heat is a factor of that growth.
While heat combined with water does raise the humidity level it is not the answer to keeping a tortoise well hydrated. Normal activity level temperatures combined with easy access to drinking water, spraying the enclosure on a regular basis and maintaining an ambient humidity level of 60-75% will suffice to keep any small tortoise hydrated without exposing it to temperatures far too warm on a constant basis.

A lot of people on here have gotten fantastic results with their tortoises at these temperatures, so I think I may concur with you. Letting the temperature drop at night to at least 80 makes sure that your little tort doesn't get a respiratory infection from the humidity. And Chris did say he was giving him daily soaks, so I doubt he is looking for an answer to keep him well hydrated, he was just asking if his lazing about in his water was a sign of something. Really, him being in his water shouldn't be a cause for alarm (and neither should falling asleep under the basking light, majority of them tend to do that.). Follow every one else's advice on keeping your humidity up (if he's little probably between 75-80) just don't forget to do those soaks! Lol, everything should be fine! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
KimandKarasi said:
GBtortoises said:

A lot of people on here have gotten fantastic results with their tortoises at these temperatures, so I think I may concur with you. Letting the temperature drop at night to at least 80 makes sure that your little tort doesn't get a respiratory infection from the humidity. And Chris did say he was giving him daily soaks, so I doubt he is looking for an answer to keep him well hydrated, he was just asking if his lazing about in his water was a sign of something. Really, him being in his water shouldn't be a cause for alarm (and neither should falling asleep under the basking light, majority of them tend to do that.). Follow every one else's advice on keeping your humidity up (if he's little probably between 75-80) just don't forget to do those soaks! Lol, everything should be fine! :)

I think you may have mis-read my post! I'm saying that keeping the temperatures that high all the time is not good.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
GBtortoises said:
I think you may have mis-read my post! I'm saying that keeping the temperatures that high all the time is not good.

What I meant was the drop at night should only go as low as 80, during the day ambient should be around 85. What temperatures do you use? These have actually been proven by Tom, ascott, and many others, but I'm open to hear your opinion! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
KimandKarasi said:
GBtortoises said:

What I meant was the drop at night should only go as low as 80, during the day ambient should be around 85. What temperatures do you use? These have actually been proven by Tom, ascott, and many others, but I'm open to hear your opinion! :)
Temperatures in general depend very much on the species in question. In this thread the OP was asking about a Hermann's tortoise which is a Northern Mediterranean species. They experience and often broad day to night temperature differential. In captivity the rule of thumb is a 15-20 degree differential. In reality in the wild it is often more than that. In either situation it is very rarely as warm as 80 degrees at night. More in the range of the low 50's to the mid 60's.
A daytime ambient temperature of 85 consistently is also too warm. Many tortoises become inactive at that temperature choosing to seek shelter because it is too warm. Tortoises in general need cool temperatures as well as warm temperatures in order to better regulate their body temperatures. Being forced to be trapped in either cool or hot extremes is not healthy nor does it foster regular activity.
The use of consistently higher temperatures in relation to better general health as far as I know hasn't not been "proven" by anyone, on this forum or elsewhere. There are benefits to correct activity level temperatures, which does include heat and higher temperatures at times in conjunction with lower temperatures in an effect to basically mimic what would take place in nature during different seasons and conditions. Temperatures, as well as humidity and other environmental requirements vary from species to species, season to season and other variable factors. There is no canned care method that covers all tortoise species and each captive situation.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
Mine currently at night is aprox. 70-75. Daytime in basking area is about 95 with the cooler side at about 85. Been really humid and hot in South Carolina these past few weeks. Humidity in enclosure is constant 70%. Considering changing my basking bulb for a straight UVA/UVB bulb. What are you guys opinions?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You must have a basking place with 95F directly under it. Whether that is MVB or a traditional spot light doesn't matter. Your tort needs this high temp to digest food.

He also needs the option to cool down which is why a spot is used.

Your should not simply remove the basking lamp.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
JoesMum said:
You must have a basking place with 95F directly under it. Whether that is MVB or a traditional spot light doesn't matter. Your tort needs this high temp to digest food.

He also needs the option to cool down which is why a spot is used.

Your should not simply remove the basking lamp.

Ok. Thanks. I know this sounds like a common sense question, but will lowering my basking light concentrate the heat more or heat the entire enclosure more. I raise it after work to simulate normal day cool down, but the temp stays about the same. Been keeping them inside my work building due to red foxes seen around the neighborhood.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The important temperature is directly under that lamp. Raise and lower it to make it cooler or warmer. Use a temperature gun (about $30 from Amazon) to get an exact measurement.

A basking lamp does increase overall temperature, but if your enclosure is big enough and you position it correctly, you should still be able to maintain a good warm end to cool end temperature gradient.

When the lights go off for the night, just let the basking lamp go off. You don't need to mess with lamp heights.

I understand your fox concern. We have red foxes through our garden, but they've never bothered Joe. A friend's female got chewed though... I think it bothered my friend more than her tort... it worried me more!

Status
Not open for further replies.