Can you help ID our garden weeds?

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey folks! Back visiting squirt haha, she’s doing so well bless her🥰
I’m working on getting some live plants in her enclosure this week😁

I was wondering if any of you guys can help me ID these plants they have in their garden? I’ve never thought to forage any of them apart from the dandelion’s I see, but I’m pretty sure some of these are safe for feedings? I wanted to get it confirmed by some of you lot before I pick any, I’m more confident on some than others but still wanted to double check for fear there’s lookalikes.
It'd be great if they are what I think they are cause we have loads at hand, all growing in our garden free of any pesticides😊these aren’t to go in the enclosure btw, just curious if I can pick them for her.

Even if you can help confirm one or two I’d greatly appreciate it!🙂I can also post better close ups of the plants if it helps!

Attachments

• F9574AAE-998D-44E5-AF5C-E74B13256499.jpeg
    F9574AAE-998D-44E5-AF5C-E74B13256499.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 7D1EDB04-24CE-4DCF-9699-28A9E573DFFA.jpeg
    7D1EDB04-24CE-4DCF-9699-28A9E573DFFA.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FD5375EF-0322-4DDA-90BD-DED473653292.jpeg
    FD5375EF-0322-4DDA-90BD-DED473653292.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 1
  • EBF7D8ED-D42A-47A3-8359-013CE7DAAE34.jpeg
    EBF7D8ED-D42A-47A3-8359-013CE7DAAE34.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 9180D424-4C06-41AB-BF5B-FCC09AF00D9F.jpeg
    9180D424-4C06-41AB-BF5B-FCC09AF00D9F.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 6A930D73-0B5D-4769-8187-EA5A3B5C175B.jpeg
    6A930D73-0B5D-4769-8187-EA5A3B5C175B.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 0844866F-2EC6-4BEE-A2AE-F4FF16D4508D.jpeg
    0844866F-2EC6-4BEE-A2AE-F4FF16D4508D.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CBB1E368-418E-4DD5-BEB8-0C902325CBB6.jpeg
    CBB1E368-418E-4DD5-BEB8-0C902325CBB6.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
That's my weak side... But plantain looks like plantain :)
Let's got straight to the main point:
They have a garden and have no outdoors enclosure??? No doubt, UK is not South Florida, but Squirt can have some fun outside, for sure. At least in a "chicken run pen"...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
They have a garden and have no outdoors enclosure??? No doubt, UK is not South Florida, but Squirt can have some fun outside, for sure. At least in a "chicken run pen"...
Yeah I was most confident on that one! There’s so much of it too so that’s handy to know😁
Haha I know right!!😂tbh it’s cause it’s so cold and rainy here most the time, she can only really come out during our hot spells, which don’t last that long😕the garden only gets a few good solid hours of sun too before it’s all shaded which is a bit annoying, just how it’s situated😣
But we do get her out there during the summer months, because there’s currently not a nice fenced up bit for her, we have to sit and watch/follow her round like her personal security guard😂so a nice outdoor area has always been a little project I want to get going haha, her main enclosure took priority but im definitely going to start working on a nice little outdoor space for her😁they don’t have a very big garden so it won’t be massive, but they have already said about some sort of little greenhouse spot to grow a few edible flowers for her or something, so might add a little ‘run’ addition to it lol, be nice to get something done with the warmer days rolling in, all in good time I’m sure🥰

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma

I was wondering if any of you guys can help me ID these plants they have in their garden? I’ve never thought to forage any of them apart from the dandelion’s I see, but I’m pretty sure some of these are safe for feedings? I wanted to get it confirmed by some of you lot before I pick any, I’m more confident on some than others but still wanted to double check for fear there’s lookalikes.
It'd be great if they are what I think they are cause we have loads at hand, all growing in our garden free of any pesticides😊these aren’t to go in the enclosure btw, just curious if I can pick them for her.

Even if you can help confirm one or two I’d greatly appreciate it!🙂I can also post better close ups of the plants if it helps!
  1. Broadleaf plantain
  2. Buttercup
  3. Oxtongue or catsear
  4. Not sure
  5. Looks like garden forget me not
  6. Looks like wall lettuce but not sure
  7. Stinging Deadnettle
  8. Not sure

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Some of these plants are still young so I'm hesitant on a few, leaves change shape over time. My assessments are as follows:

The first is very likely plantain but at this point possibly violet. Both are safe.

The second is indeed some wild geranium. There are so many I wouldn't worry about which one. All are safe.

The third looks like a young bristly ox tongue to me. See if the biggest leaf sticks to your shirt, if so you're right! Otherwise I can't say until it grows a bit more.

Yup, #4 is filaree.

#5 doesn't grow near me so I won't guess.

I would say #6 is more likely to be bindweed or morning glory. They look similer, one has fairly small (less than one inch) leaves and the other much larger and shinier. I'd wait a few weeks and try again. If it is morning glory don't pay attention to warnings you may see; it's the seed that could be dangerous, not the leaves. Both are safe.

#7 is a false or dead nettle.

#8 I don't know but it's certainly not a sow or any other thistle.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Some of these plants are still young so I'm hesitant on a few, leaves change shape over time. My assessments are as follows:

The first is very likely plantain but at this point possibly violet. Both are safe.

The second is indeed some wild geranium. There are so many I wouldn't worry about which one. All are safe.

The third looks like a young bristly ox tongue to me. See if the biggest leaf sticks to your shirt, if so you're right! Otherwise I can't say until it grows a bit more.

Yup, #4 is filaree.

#5 doesn't grow near me so I won't guess.

I would say #6 is more likely to be bindweed or morning glory. They look similer, one has fairly small (less than one inch) leaves and the other much larger and shinier. I'd wait a few weeks and try again. If it is morning glory don't pay attention to warnings you may see; it's the seed that could be dangerous, not the leaves. Both are safe.

#7 is a false or dead nettle.

#8 I don't know but it's certainly not a sow or any other thistle.
Thank you so much for all your answers! I’ll definitely wait longer on a few of them, someone mentioned 2 being buttercup? But we do also have those in the garden and now I think about it the leaves are slightly different, plus there’s never any buttercups sprouting by the leaves pictured, be great if it is geranium because there’s lots of it!😊

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you so much for all your answers! I’ll definitely wait longer on a few of them, someone mentioned 2 being buttercup? But we do also have those in the garden and now I think about it the leaves are slightly different, plus there’s never any buttercups sprouting by the leaves pictured, be great if it is geranium because there’s lots of it!😊
Definitely not buttercup although I can see why someone might think so.

Geranium is a dud with my Russian so I hope you have luck with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

1. Broadleaf plantain, but there is another one growing up the little of it. Dandelion maybe?
2. I don't know that one.
3. That is not like the bristly ox tongue we have here. The leaf shape is different. It may still be safe, but I can't verify that.
4. We don't have that one here. Don't know.
5. Don't know that one.
6. It sure resembles lambsquarter, but not 100%. Plants grow differently in different climates.
7. Don't know.
8. Don't know.

I've had good success taking whole weeds to a local plant nursery. There is always a plant nerd that knows every plant that grows within 100 miles. I find that person and make friends with them.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
1. Broadleaf plantain, but there is another one growing up the little of it. Dandelion maybe?
2. I don't know that one.
3. That is not like the bristly ox tongue we have here. The leaf shape is different. It may still be safe, but I can't verify that.
4. We don't have that one here. Don't know.
5. Don't know that one.
6. It sure resembles lambsquarter, but not 100%. Plants grow differently in different climates.
7. Don't know.
8. Don't know.

I've had good success taking whole weeds to a local plant nursery. There is always a plant nerd that knows every plant that grows within 100 miles. I find that person and make friends with them.
Thanks for the input! I’m glad the plantain leaves are confirmed by you guys, they’re plentiful so hopefully she’ll like them😊yeah there’s some dandelion amongst them.

That’s such a good idea actually! We have lots of little paces like that near by, so I’ll pop in and see if I can find me a plant nerd to befriend😅

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
We have so many nature walks round here with such a rich abundance of plants&weeds, loads I’m sure I’ve identified from the tortoise table, I’m sure plenty of the places are kept natural, free of human touch, but I still get iffy foraging outside of the garden, where I can be certain nothing has touched the plants😣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Happy to say the garden plantain has gone down a treat today🥰just waiting to see if she eats the geranium now😁
Here she is munching on a plantain leaf😅

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1008.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are apps you can get which will ID plants from photos you take. My phone has Google Lens but not sure if all phones have this or just Pixels, and I cross reference the results it gives with the Tortoise Table.
Ribwort plantain is also a favourite for my tort, the leaves grow quite long and slender.
th

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
There are apps you can get which will ID plants from photos you take. My phone has Google Lens but not sure if all phones have this or just Pixels, and I cross reference the results it gives with the Tortoise Table.
Ribwort plantain is also a favourite for my tort, the leaves grow quite long and slender.
th
Oooo thanks I’ll look into the apps!
We have lots of that growing nearby too, Just none in our garden, I get a little nervous foraging elsewhere but there’s some secluded spots I’m sure are safe to pick it from😁

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Unless there are pesticides or toxic plants you could consider making an outdoor pen for Squirt. Maybe even a temporary one that could be used under supervision.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Well geranium eventually went down nicely lol, she had a go at the filree and she’s absolutely nuts for the plantain still!!😁

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1