Sore on leg.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I've just been looking over my adult reds and found George has a small sore on his front leg, looks like his leg is rubbing on the right hand scute in this photo.
The scute feels sharp.
Do I just file the scute so it's smooth, and is E45 cream ok for the sore?
Thank you.

IMG_20160528_124201.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I've just been looking over my adult reds and found George has a small sore on his front leg, looks like his leg is rubbing on the right hand scute in this photo.
The scute feels sharp.
Thank you.

View attachment 175282
Poor baby! Yes, I'd definitely sand it down to nice and smooth surface. I'm not sure what e45 is assuming it's antibiotic cream? Clean the wound first with antiseptic, saline wound cleanser is great. Then any antibiotis OINTMENT. You want ointment for it's viscosity, thickness to create temporary barrier just to give the wound little jump start in granulation.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Looked at the picture again. Thank God for good camera lenses! This wound is full thickness. It may look exaggerated in size by the camera... How big/deep in mm is it? May need to be dressed (covered) to keep from getting infected. Also that scute after filed down may not be sharp any more but it may still be rubbing this area. Use your judgment Craig

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Poor baby! Yes, I'd definitely sand it down to nice and smooth surface. I'm not sure what e45 is assuming it's antibiotic cream? Clean the wound first with antiseptic, saline wound cleanser is great. Then any antibiotis OINTMENT. You want ointment for it's viscosity, thickness to create temporary barrier just to give the wound little jump start in granulation.
E45 is a moisturiser commonly used with eczema and dry skin. Don't use that - what Pearly recommends is good but not with E45 as there's no antibiotic or antiseptic.

You won't be able to buy antibiotic ointment over the counter in the UK. It will have to be antiseptic.

Sudocrem would do the job.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
E45 is a moisturiser commonly used with eczema and dry skin. Don't use that - what Pearly recommends is good but not with E45 as there's no antibiotic or antiseptic.

You won't be able to buy antibiotic ointment over the counter in the UK. It will have to be antiseptic.

Got sudocrem. Thanks. I don't know my creams. (Mano mano).

Pearly

5 Year Member

Really??? No Neosporin??? Or Triple Antibiotic???? Wow! Ok then Craig, just clean it up real good after smoothing the jagged edges of the shell. Pad it dry with clean gauze and "dot" it with plain Vaseline (petrolatum jelly) which will act as barrier letting the tort's body do the healing

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Looked at the picture again. Thank God for good camera lenses! This wound is full thickness. It may look exaggerated in size by the camera... How big/deep in mm is it? May need to be dressed (covered) to keep from getting infected. Also that scute after filed down may not be sharp any more but it may still be rubbing this area. Use your judgment Craig
It's only about 5mm diameter and 1mm deep. Thanks for your help pearls.
I'll go get big grinder and safety glasses out of shed and fettle the carapace up a bit.
Thanks again

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Really??? No Neosporin??? Or Triple Antibiotic???? Wow! Ok then Craig, just clean it up real good after smoothing the jagged edges of the shell. Pad it dry with clean gauze and "dot" it with plain Vaseline (petrolatum jelly) which will act as barrier letting the tort's body do the healing
Sudocrem is like advanced vaseline. Antiseptic and a barrier.

With the increasing resistance worldwide to antibiotics, it's not a great idea using them unless there really is a bacterial infection.

It's getting to the stage where the world will soon be struggling to treat common infection as no antibiotic will be effective unless the drug companies start developing new ones.

Doctors here are increasingly reluctant to prescribe them and even then do blood tests to make sure they're giving the right one.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Poor little thing. Sorry about that wound.

Regret that I can't be of help, but hope to hear he recovers very soon.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The scute feels sharp.
Thank you.

View attachment 175282
Good evening. How's your tort now? Hope he's better.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good evening. How's your tort now? Hope he's better.

Hi Gillian.

I sanded the edge of his scute with a fine sandpaper, he was not a happy George, clucking at me waving his legs about then clammed up with head and limbs in tight. Put some Vaseline on the wound. Placed him on the floor, at which point I got clucked at again, followed by a look back at me with stink eye.
Guilt kicked in so I spoilt him with some banana. He seems ok now. I'll keep an eye on him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hold off the banana even as a treat. That really is pure sugar and very bad for your tort. Other fruits are less damaging occasional treats.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hi Gillian.

I sanded the edge of his scute with a fine sandpaper, he was not a happy George, clucking at me waving his legs about then clammed up with head and limbs in tight. Put some Vaseline on the wound. Placed him on the floor, at which point I got clucked at again, followed by a look back at me with stink eye.
Guilt kicked in so I spoilt him with some banana. He seems ok now. I'll keep an eye on him.
As a good tortdaddy should. I always make sure they associate any disagreeable procedure with good treat and after a while and many repetitions it's no longer disagreeable. Their bath was that way, the body inspection I do while coco oil rub/cleaning was this same, now they just chill and stick the body parts out for the rubbing:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
It's only about 5mm diameter and 1mm deep. Thanks for your help pearls.
I'll go get big grinder and safety glasses out of shed and fettle the carapace up a bit.
Thanks again
Love it when you guys call me that, Pearly was a name of one of the most beautiful white bettas I'd ever had who had died (I no longer have fish tanks- any). Mine given name is Ewa (pron: Ava) :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian.

I really hope to hear he's recovered soon. Good luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian.

How is he now?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Love it when you guys call me that, Pearly was a name of one of the most beautiful white bettas I'd ever had who had died (I no longer have fish tanks- any). Mine given name is Ewa (pron: Ava) :)
I like the name. Sorry to hear you don't have a fish tank any longer.