10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
dmmj said:
Saw this on CL and almost cried, see the care they recommend, kids firs pet and I think I saw some shell damage/shell rot on the front of this guy's shell If I knew more about greeks I would take it myself.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pet/2159055500.html
So sad

This is the same one I reposted. He is too far for me to get but he looks soooo sad. His eyes look puffy, his poor shell looks damaged and he even looks like he has a scab on his leg. Hope he finds a good home!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Oh man your right his eyes look really puffy in the one pic. He doesn't look happy at all. It looks like the substrate is about the only thing these people got right.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that ad was posted yesterday here by Jessica and Danny thought it looked like old shell rot. To me, because I've seen so many of them, it looks like dog bites. I think he looks dehydrated (the eyes).

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I really want to go get him. I am going to email them and see if they'll take less for him. We have no money right now, so I can't spend $100. :(

I just emailed him offering him $40 for just the tortoise. Let's see what happens ...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Well I hope you let him know that the tort is in danger of dying from lack of care. Hmmm... maybe I should contact him too.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
kimber_lee_314 said:
I really want to go get him. I am going to email them and see if they'll take less for him. We have no money right now, so I can't spend $100. :(

I just emailed him offering him $40 for just the tortoise. Let's see what happens ...

i hope you get him fingers crossed

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Angi said:
Well I hope you let him know that the tort is in danger of dying from lack of care. Hmmm... maybe I should contact him too.

Maybe you should contact him - letting him know that the tort is in seriously bad shape and should be given to someone who knows how to care for him. Maybe that will help convince the guy to give him to me for the lower price.

moswen

5 Year Member
i agree with yvonne that it looks like an old dog bite, but i have no idea what shell rot looks like so i really can't put in my "official" opinion here lol. $100 for a sick and sad little pyramided greek? that's awful. if i didn't hate heat so much i would seriously consider moving to california, that seems to be where the tortoises are! "lettuce and some fruits"? really? i don't know what sub-species of greek that is but tula is an iberia greek, and the only fruits she gets are cactus fruits. and she gets "greens" not "lettuce." i hope you get him too kimber!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
kimber_lee_314 said:

That is awesome, I sure hope he agrees. Maybe I should email him letting him know how sickly he looks and maybe he would be more willing to go for the $40. :cool:

okay I did send him a message. I told him the tortoise appeared to need medical attention, eyes puffy, possibly dehydrated, shell damage, and dull looking eyes. Let him know I hope he finds a good home for him... lol. I hope this helps!!!!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
So I got this guy to give him to me for $50, but he is about an hour and a half away. My husband is going to kill me for spending this money, so I don't want to ask him to drive out there for me, and I have to work tomorrow. Is there anyone who could drive to the San Fernando Valley, or lives near there that could pick him up? Otherwise, I'm not sure when I can go get him.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
That is awesome! I received an email back from the guy. The mark on his shell is from a dog bite when he was littler. Said he took him to the vet. Feeds him mixed greens and that his eyes look that way because he was sleeping and he woke him up.

I am so glad you are able to get him.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Jessicap said:
That is awesome! I received an email back from the guy. The mark on his shell is from a dog bite when he was littler. Said he took him to the vet. Feeds him mixed greens and that his eyes look that way because he was sleeping and he woke him up.

I am so glad you are able to get him.

I have had Shelby 9 months and have never seen puffy eyes after waking up he is comparing waking up eyes to humans i do not think any type of reptile gets puffed up eye because they have just woke up. I am really glad someone who can look after the Tort properly as got him, I would still push to get him for less though it looks sick he should not be profiting for selling something he as not taken care of properly. Good luck Kimber I hope everything goes ok for u and u can help this poor thing bac to good health

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What's up with the Greek Tortoise? Kimber where does this guy live (city I mean)? Are you going to be able to pick him up or is it too difficult for you due to your work schedule?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I confessed to my husband (had to agree not to go to my bonsai classes this month for the $50) and he is going to get him tomorrow. I'll let you know his condition tomorrow as soon as I get home from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.