I hope this guy does not get his female he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I confess Neal. A fair amount of cynicism has crept into my though process over the years. You are correct. This could be a great learning opportunity for someone who clearly needs it...

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
There was actually a con where I am where a little old lady did this with pure breed dogs. She had adds saying she wanted her female pincher to have some shenanigans, when people obliged with their male pincher she would steal it. I can't remember exactly how many she made off with.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Neal said:
Obviously from his post, he has a bit to learn about the tortoise he has and the one he wants to have. And if he wants people to take him seriously, he has a thing or two to learn in the grammar department.

I guess what I didn't like about this thread is that the person just didn't know any better (maybe), and instead of trying to reach out to him (Which someone might have done for all I know) we made a post on a public forum making fun of the guy essentially, when there could have been a good learning opportunity.

You make an excellent point, which is why I decided to send a friendly email after reading your post.

I emailed the guy under the guise of having a female to rehome. Misleading, I know, but I figured it was the best chance of actually having him take my email seriously. I asked some basic questions, and offered some information, politely asking things like whether he has an emergency vet/supplies fund, whether he's prepared for eggs/hatchlings, and how he cares for his tort. It has been 4 days, with no response. Call me cynical, but I suspect the poster turned his nose up at my daring to ask questions, and decided to ignore the email. I just re-sent the email in case there was some error that stopped it going through the first time, but I'm sorry to say I think I'll be sticking with my original opinion on the matter.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Laura said:
he wants a female so his male tort 'can get some'.... not that its 'wrong' but it just doesnt seem right, and we know isnt neccasary! infact... the whole quarantine, fighting yada yada thing should be addressed to the poster..

AND we might add that they dont mate for pleasure..they mate to reproduce.....only dolphins and humans do for the other..lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't know about that (mating for pleasure) most tortoise keepers can tell you stories about them mating with just about anything.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
...Okay, I spoke too soon. Still sounds like she didn't think this plan through, but the poster emailed me back today. She described her care... He free-roams her room, and gets time in the yard when she can supervise. Decent diet--greens, veggies, a bit of fruit here and there. By her description, it sounds like she dearly loves her tortoise, just maybe didn't put a great deal of thought into researching care and breeding. Anyway, I emailed back politely suggesting she look into the cons of allowing a tortoise to free-roam and offered my opinion on a few other concerns, like vet funds, back up enclosures, and egg/hatchling accommodations. I also referred her to a couple sites, including TFO. Hopefully she decides to come over and learn better for her tort. :)

(Lolita: If you decided to come to Tortoise Forum, and stumbled across this thread. I apologize for my misleading "offer" of a tortoise... I do feel rather like a jerk for that after communicating with you. But, welcome to TFO!! Most people here aren't jerks like I am, LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.