someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I personally think that a humidity level below 35% is too low. Ideally more around 50%. When indoors my Russians are in room that reaches about 75% at night and around 50-60% during the daytime. I have never seen any problems with them resulting from this level of humidity.

Hydration and/or humidity should be considered in three different texts: Ambient air humidity, substrate moisture and hydration of the animal itself. With Russian tortoises as well as other species hydration is extremely important. They gain this from the amount of water they take in. Ambient air humidity determines how quickly they will become dehydrated and how fast their environment will dry out. This should usually be in at the mid-range in captivity. With Russian tortoises mainly because they will usually have the lack of a true burrow indoors that they can rest in that is more humid. Substrate humidity does not need to be so high with Russians as with other species. Baby and very young tortoises, including Russian tortoises will benefit from a more moist substrate by growing smoother and remaining better hydrated. But with adult Russians the need for a moist substrate is less critical and too moist of a substrate can be the root of health issues.

75 degrees at night is much warmer than necessary. Russian and other temperate climate tortoises usually do much better and are more active with a 15-20 degree day to night temperature differential. 60-65 degrees indoors at night is more suitable. They can actually take much colder with no harm, as low as 50 but few people keep their house that cold!
80 degrees is fine for an overall temperature within his enclosure during the daytime. Anywhere within about 75-84 during the daytime with a temperature range of 95-110 directly under the basking light and 60-65 at night. As well as a basking light there should be another light, tube flourescents work best, that will intensely illuminate the entire enclosure during the daytime to encourage activity. Hiding places are necessary too so that they can rest from the heat and light when needed.

Russians are almost exclusively greens eaters. Many show no interest in vegetables at all but some do. Fruit should not be part of their regular diet and there is really no reason to feed any fruit at all. Generally, a diet of about 85-90% good quality, varied greens and the rest good quality, varied vegetables works well for Russians.

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
That's the thing though. Even though I can get the temperature down at night, the humidity still stays high in the log enclosure, where he insists on sleeping in. I don't know how to not get it that way.
Any suggestions... ? :( What am I doing wrong?

I know that low temperature and high humidity is not a good thing. But I have NO CLUE how to get the humidity down around the sleeping log area.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Having seen the picture of your enclosure in your other post I noticed the dial gauges on the side of the enclosure. Is one of them a hygrometer that you're getting your humidity levels from? Those are notoriously inaccurate for measuring humidity. Digital thermometer/hygrometers are usually more trustworthy.

What is the ambient humidity within the room that the tortoise enclosure is in?

With the light being one and the log being so close to it (it really should be at the other end of the enclosure from the light), it's hard to believe that the true humidity is that high under the log. That's a pretty big water bowl for that size enclosure. Could it be that the tortoise is tracking a lot of water throughout the enclosure which could be keeping the substrate too wet?

Where is the humidity level being checked? Within the substrate itself or in the air? If it's being checked below the top level of the substrate then it's always going to be much higher than it would be in the air. The substrate traps and holds moisture better than the air does.

How often, if at all do you spray the enclosure?

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
I'll have to get a better temp/hygrometer. I know those aren't the best, but that's all I could afford at the time.

I used that hydrometer to check the entire room humidity, as well as the enclosure itself. The room was about 40. The enclosure is also about 40.
To check the humidity under the log and all, I would actually set the hygrometer under the log in the soil. Now that you say that, probably not accurate, huh?
Yesterday, I went out and bought a different type of "hide" for him. Instead of a log, I got a little hide that has 3 openings. He seems to like it. I might have to buy a little bit bigger one because the one side he can't fit out of, so I faced that hole towards the wall so he wouldn't try to get out of it and get stuck in the process. However, I did check the humidity under there, and it only went up to about 70, as opposed to the 85-90% from the log. And at night, I decided to turn a fan on in the room (on low to see if that would help cool down the enclosure and humidity) The temp went down between 65-70, and the humidity managed about 65%. Which I thought was much better. Do you think so?

He really enjoys that water bowl. I could look for something smaller, though. He doesn't go into it too too often. But I do have a smaller little bowl for him to drink from, in case he doesn't want to go into the "pool". He really likes his drinking bowl; he sits and just stares into it for like 10 mins, drinking every couple mins haha

I spray around maybe, once a day? Not to drench it though. and I overturn the soil, esp on the basking heat side, like, every other day cause the under soil is much more moist than the surface.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
It just doesn't make sense that the humidity would be that much higher under the hide with the same substrate when it's 40% in the rest of the enclosure and the room. Somewhat higher would be reasonable, but twice as much would be difficult to achieve.

Russian tortoises aren't really water loving tortoises in terms of bathing or wading. They will usually stay on dry ground and drink from a water source occasionally. A small shallow dish would be enough and it would cause less water to be soaked into the substrate. If you're concerned about him staying hydrated enough you can always place him in a seperate container outside of his enclosure every two to three days to water (soak) him.

A once a day spraying should be fine. I do it with my Russians not so much to moisten the substrate as to keep the dust down that they stir up. I also churn it up about once a week. Mine actually hate being sprayed and most of them run for cover!

If 65-70 degrees is all you can get at night it is what it is. 65 and below would be more ideal.

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
I'm going out after work and replacing some of the original things I got... like the log, and the little water bowl. We'll see what I can find. I'll keep you all posted and let you know how it goes. :)

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP! This tortoise forum is great haha

OH! And regarding the night temperature. I'm scared to get the temperature at night any longer, due to the fact that the humidity is still around 70 so. I'm working on maintaining it.

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
I think I did it!!! I got rid of the log. Instead I bought a bridge looking thing. And!!!! I bought a rubbermaid container, with holes in the sides. Just a little thing. Humidity is only around 60and temp is about 65 at night!!! I think I finally did it. Keep ya posted!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That night temp sounds much better!
Just don't worry about checking the humidity any more (don't spend a lot on a hygrometer). Do make sure you have an accurate way to check temps.
Bed a beast (coir) is a great substrate, and keeping it moist underneath is fine. Keep any sand content to a minimum.
Other than letting your tort pretty much do what he wants (with a little soaking help from you now and then), I don't think you need to change a thing!

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
I'm very happy that I was able to come up with different options. He can now choose between hide-aways from both the cooler and hotter ends, and alot more room to run around. i'll post pictures soon! Thanks again for everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.