someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
I just got a Russian tortoise, I keep him indoors. I've maintained the temperatue on the hot end around 95 degrees and humidity is about 30, and the other end ranges from 70 to 75 degrees. He sleeps under a log. But under the log, it's about 70 degrees and the humidity is all the way up to 80, ESP at night when all lights are off. I tried drying out the substrate that I use, but it stays moistened slightly. For the most part. He seems happy, but I'm worried. Should I try something else??? Is he ok in that environment at sleep?

Also, sometimes he'll sleep like 9 hrs and not move from that spot from where he burrowed. Is that normal?????????? He usually eats when I feed him a price of leafy green, realizes there's food in his bowl, and sometimes goes up himself, but sometimes I will pick him up and put him near it. He then usually eats, then goes in his bowl of water, soaks for about a minute and drinks, then back to his "spot". I just wanna make sure I'm doing what's best for him.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corfu, Greece
Hi and welcome to TFO!

I'm not a russian tortoise keeper, so I cant help with your question, but wanted to welcome you anyway.

There are loads of great people with lots of expert knowledge on here, someone will come along shortly and help... I can practically guarantee they will ask you for pics as well!!

Helen x

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS :p

I think that I would feel a bit uncomfortable with humidity of 80 and temps of 70 in that hide....how old is your tortoise? if he is young then the higher humidity is aok....but the temp needs to be higher with the higher humidity....if you have an adult then I would not necessarily strive for high humidity with the cool temp...also the adults do not require the high humidity the same as a young/baby tortoise....

Wait around a bit and hear what others feel...you will get some good info ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hamburger15 said:
I just got a Russian tortoise, I keep him indoors. I've maintained the temperatue on the hot end around 95 degrees and humidity is about 30, and the other end ranges from 70 to 75 degrees. He sleeps under a log. But under the log, it's about 70 degrees and the humidity is all the way up to 80, ESP at night when all lights are off. I tried drying out the substrate that I use, but it stays moistened slightly. For the most part. He seems happy, but I'm worried. Should I try something else??? Is he ok in that environment at sleep?

Also, sometimes he'll sleep like 9 hrs and not move from that spot from where he burrowed. Is that normal?????????? He usually eats when I feed him a price of leafy green, realizes there's food in his bowl, and sometimes goes up himself, but sometimes I will pick him up and put him near it. He then usually eats, then goes in his bowl of water, soaks for about a minute and drinks, then back to his "spot". I just wanna make sure I'm doing what's best for him.

Hello and welcome. I do not know a lot about Russians except they do hibernate
and it sounds like that may be what yours is trying to do. Others that know more about them I'm sure will answer soon. But the little I know it sounds like your
doing just fine. If someone doesn't come along soon enough for you to help with
your questions, try the search bar on the forum and search Russian hibernation
and you will probably find some helpful info there. Good luck:D

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome!! :)

Idk how to get the humidity down. I've tried everything. When I got him they didn't say how old he was. However, he looks to be about Idk, 5 inches long?? If that helps. I'll double check and get back to you. He seems happy. I called a local animal hospital and the exotic pet guy said he'd be more concerned about temp then humidity. He likes to sleep have in half out of his log most of the time. I just wanna make him comfortable... I'd be devasted if I hurt him, or worse....

Does it sound like in doing ok? Lol I'm an over worried tort parent.

Btw, his name is Hammie, or Ham. Short for hamburger. Because that's what they look like :D

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
Hibernation? I'm not prepared for that haha he's active when he wants to be. He eats just fine too. Ahh! I'm getting concerned for my little guy...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hamburger15:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

In my opinion, you're keeping the tortoise too hot. This is my opinion. I think Russian tortoises like it a bit cooler than other types of tortoise.

It is perfectly ok for you to place the food in the habitat then get the tortoise out and set him in front of the food. If he walks away, then go back in an hour or so and place him in front of it again.

It may just be that he's getting acquainted with his new surroundings.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
But under the log, it's about 70 degrees and the humidity is all the way up to 80, ESP at night when all lights are off

This is the part of your set up that concerns me....if it were me :) I would either;

decrease the humidity (you can achieve this by removing the substrate under that hide and replace it with dry substrate) in that hide, or

increase the temp in that hide up to 78-80ish mark and leave the humidity as is

I believe that if you leave him exposed to the higher humidity and the lower temps your tortoise may suffer from this mix over time. IMHO

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hamburger15 said:

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I think the humidity is always higher down in the substrate (under the log). It does not sound as if the overall humidity in your table is too high at 30%. Your basking area temp is fine. You could try cooling off your 'cool' side a bit, but it is close to the right temp.
Make sure you have an accurate thermometer: a digital thermometer with a wire probe that you can move around is inexpensive (at most stores). Most of us don't worry about humidity in Russian enclosures.
Your tort is choosing where to sleep, they usually know what they need, so let him decide.
Although he goes in his water bowl (unusual for Russians), you could soak him in warm water (don't let it cool off) in a small opaque plastic container for 15" 2-3x per week. That way he will stay hydrated, and it can stimulate his appetite.
Since you just got him, he may be shy and hide more until he figures out he is safe. As long as he is urinating, pooping, and his nose and eyes are clear, just wait.
It's OK to handle him to move him in front of his food a couple of times, but otherwise leave him alone and just watch him.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Russians are notorious for lying around half-burrowed doing absolutely nothing for hours on end. Don't worry about that bit, so long as he's eating and looks healthy.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Mine is like yours- comes out and hides during the day. It's ok. Mine was outside in the summer and must feel the need to hibernate and lay low. My guy comes out every morning for food under his heat lamp. He sleeps in a cooler log space too. He poops in his home and I soak him three times a week in a clean sink so he can poop more and bath. He also has a swimming pool- shallow pie dish with rocks to walk on. Mine is the same size as yours :) provide a cooler space - they will regulate their own temperature. They need options :)
You may have it too hot. I also have a small heated rock with a hand towel that mine loves to use ESP after a bath :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What material are you using for the substrate? If it is a soil or mulch based material they often initially contain a lot of moisture which is absorbed while sitting out at home and garden centers. If you mix it up frequently it should dry out on it's own in a very short time. Especially when in contact with the temperatures that you stated are present.
Where are you measuring the humidity level at and with what? It just seems like quite a vast difference in humidity ranges although a variation can be expected with different temperatures.

With your tortoise being in a new environment I wouldn't be too concerned about the higher ambient humidity as long as the temperatures are within normal activity levels, which they seem to be. Additional humidity (within reason) will help to ensure that your tortoise stays well hydrated while it is getting acclimated to it's new surroundings. A more humid sleeping area is especially beneficial. If you can give your tortoise the option of a dry and a humid hide he can choose which he prefers to use, which may not be the same one each time.

His burrowing and sleeping patterns are perfectly normal. It usually doesn't take them long to figure out where the food is (or where it's coming from)! The bowl or plate as well as the water dish, should be shallow and the top rim at or near ground level.

If "he" is a he for sure and 5" from the front edge to the back edge of his shell than he's a young, but fully mature male. They don't get too much larger. If "he" is a she, than she's a young, almost mature female. Generally they would become sexually mature at around 6" or slightly under that.

I would not consider brumation (hibernation) at all with a newly acquired tortoise. That concern is a good year away at this point. Even then, it is not a necessity to do so, but an option.

You can probably get some additional suggestions from members if you'd like to post some photos of your enclosure and your tortoise.

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
So from what I'm getting incollection from everyone... The humidity seems ok as long as he has another resort to possibly cool down, correct? The vet said if he wasn't comfortable in the humidity then he'd go somewhere else. I'm gonna buy something more dry to keep under his hide, something that'll stay cooler and doesn't collect so much moisture. I'm gonna try to post a pic or two. But it doesn't seem to work.

Anything else have any suggestions for a happy tort?

Attachments

• image-2608541692.png
    image-2608541692.png
    546.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image-3631821909.png
    image-3631821909.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 10

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
I'm trying to lower humidity by using a combo of sand and that soil that comes in those bricks, with majority of it being sand. I'm only doing this under the log. Do you think that will be ok???

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hamburger15 said:
I'm trying to lower humidity by using a combo of sand and that soil that comes in those bricks, with majority of it being sand. I'm only doing this under the log. Do you think that will be ok???

I don't think it will be. My concern is your going to have the majority of it being sand. Whenever sand is being used, it needs to be in a low percentage. Too much sand can cause problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hamburger15:

I don't believe you've ever told us your name or where you are?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise might like to burrow into a nice, clean pile of hay, but I don't like to use it as substrate because it can get moldy and dusty.

Hamburger15

5 Year Member
So to clarify to make sure everyone understands...

Humidity through the entire living space for him is around 20-40%. Temperature on hot end is about 95 degrees, with a mixture of sand and bed-a-beast, center area around 80 degrees, and other end around 70-75 degrees.
A log is placed between the hot and cooler side, and the temperate under the log ranges from 70-80 degrees, and the humidity is almost up to 85%.
I use a bed-a-beast and sand mixture near the hot basking area, where as the rest is just bed-a-beast. I occasionally spray the soil to keep it semi-moist, but the top of the bedding usually is dry, but underneath is more damp, so I turn the soil often.
At night, all lights are off, and he usually sleeps under the log, completely burrowed; however the humidity doesn't seem to budge, and temps are around 75 degrees. The whole room and his tank stay around 80 degrees. Is this healthy for him?
I bathe him 2-3 x per week in luke warm water (he loves it), I feed him about 3-4 oz of leafy greens and vegetable mixtures in the morning, and then around 5-7pm, I give him a little more leafy greens, but not so much as the morning. I give him fruit on occasion, but not so much to hurt him.
I let him run around my apartment most days, unless I work late. So he usually runs around for about 20 minutes at a time 3-4 days a week.

Any opinions or concerns, please let me know. Thank you so much for all your thoughts! You're helping me tremendously!!

Status
Not open for further replies.