Some stunning/normalish Leopard neonates

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Leopards always intrigue me with display of variance. This years first 40 have shown quite the unique. Also again as proven from years past. The more pardalis looking hatch 4-5 months after clutch mates.

Some unique ones for sure.
This one holding it's robust battery quite well at being 3 weeks old.
image.jpg
image.jpg
And then some older ones putting on nice spits and spots of white splattering growth.
I kinda like the ones without dots on the areola
image.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
tortoise2.JPG tortoise.JPG I've always liked the leopards but decided to get my mep's first. I've just arranged to buy my first leo though. a GPB. So now I don't have to be so envious of all you leo owners. Just envious of the ones with the GPPs! LOL. I had been looking for a GPP but they are few and far between and then I saw this GPB and I had to have him. 11 inches of pure 3 year old gorgeousness! Maybe a little pyramided but not bad...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
"So now I don't have to be so envious of all you leo owners. Just envious of the ones with the GPPs"

Oh no no no, teresaf, never ever be envious of any of them. ALL leopards are awesome regardless of their GPness. Some folks have leopards with no dots and they end up being huge, or really blonde, or really starbursty. Unfortunately, when they were imported in, they were not fully kept track off and there is a tooty fruity mix of them in most all of them. In a way that's cool. Sadly, for keeping localities together, not so easy. Leopards are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get. Thanks, Forrest Gump's mom. Forrest would have liked leopard tortoises.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Some more pipping last night. 5 at once. The speculation is getting stronger and stronger that my female is indeed pardalis pardalis. These would be intragraded babcocki and pardalis. I've been notating the past few years of her clutches as she has been with my babcocki male. These past 8 that have hatched are from the first clutch and still have been incubating 4 months past the other hatched out of it. When candled after the first clutch hatched at 60% they looked clear little development. But then boom development starts months later then hatch. So for sure a diapause and delay in the embryo has occurred. She had been with a pardalis male I was facilitating for friend, and those eggs in ground took 21 months to hatch and were classic double dot pardalis. So this is the last year she gets to stay with babcocki male and the search for a pardalis male continues. Eventually I'll get around to phylogenetic tests. But bigger abroad projects are more important right now.

Anyways. Here's some of the late late hatchers, with more to come.
image.jpg
image.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Never tire of looking at them! ! ! Very, very nice.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
. So this is the last year she gets to stay with babcocki male and the search for a pardalis male continues. Eventually I'll get around to phylogenetic tests. But bigger abroad projects are more important right now.

Anyways. Here's some of the late late hatchers, with more to come.

Kelly I have a few males that recently hit maturity. I would consider a breeding loan. How large or a male do you suspect you need? My oldest are around 10 inches give or take but will definitely be large males in another year or two. They both are ready for females for sure, depending on exactly how big of a female we are talking. Just an offer to you

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome . She's almost 20" and about 35 pounds. But they could probably work especially if there's 2 of them.

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
She had been with a pardalis male I was facilitating for friend, and those eggs in ground took 21 months to hatch

Hey Kelly, were the eggs in the ground the whole 21 months, exposed to all the weather elements of north Texas?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hey Kelly, were the eggs in the ground the whole 21 months, exposed to all the weather elements of north Texas?
Yes. But the soil is heated in that building. However though it still would be rather cool. So yeah definitely a good long diapause during the entire winter. Then incubation through the summer again. They hatched in fall. None survived though. It was a clutch that I missed and didn't even expect to see them. I dug everywhere I thought she laid but found nothing until almost years later. I think I have some photos of the ones that crawled out. They were very small, and very day.mso for sure was not a success story at all. But still amazing they hatched over that length of time.

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Got it... so don't think that GPPs eggs would be able to survive in ground (out doors) for full incubation in North Texas?