SolarMeter Use

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hello,

I recently acquired a SolarMeter 6.2. I understand how to use them to determine bulb life decrease (plotting readings over time), however I have not found a "number/reading" of UVB that should be at ground level for a Sulcata to determine if the bulb/tube is correct to begin with.

Does anyone know what a reading should be? Also, if you happen to know of one for tropical species (RedFoots).

I'm reading rough 10 UVB at ground level for the Sulcata, and 5 UVB at ground level for the Redfoot.

Thanks,
Brad

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have no idea if i read mine correctly but under my powersun uvb I read 36 and my new 56 w 5.0 fluorescent reads 90! At about 15 inches away. The sun reads 200-400 for me depending on the day and time. What kind of light do you have?

Zeko

5 Year Member
Wow. I have Florescent tubes.

This is the problem we have, is yours too high? Is mine low?

Right at the bulb mine is 70, 6 inches away is 40, ground level is 10.

My tortoises have grown very smooth, so we can safely say 5-10 at shell height is at least minimum required.

Hope someone knows,
Brad

Zeko

5 Year Member
I just picked up a new set of 5uvb and 10uvb tubes.

I'll post up the results in a bit.

Still not sure what recommended amount of uvb hitting the tortoise is tho, haha.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am glad that you are looking into this. But I do wish you had the 6.5 UV Index meter. :) :) That's the one I have and I'm always curious what readings people are getting from their bulbs. I will be interested to hear what you get. Does anybody know how that reading converts to UVI?

Zeko

5 Year Member
Next pay, I'll have a 6.5 on order. But to monitor bulb life, the 6.2 was/is apparently the best to go with.

Just doesn't do me much good if we don't know how high/low to position the bulbs to ensure proper UV. I am actually surprised searching on these forums haven't brought up any discussion on this. Too much uvb is almost as bad as too little.

Hmmph,
Brad

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The idea I guess is to take the measurements and then raise or lower the boulb to get the right measurement. Sometimes what the company says, for example the zoo med website, isn't always appropriate. The problem is you don't know it until you measure with the meter. do a search under 6.2 m and see what you come up with. There should be some threads in the enclosure setting under lighting. I had a discussion about this in one of my threads, I think it was titled something like "lighting a large enclosure" @Tom was helpful.

Zeko

5 Year Member
The idea I guess is to take the measurements and then raise or lower the boulb to get the right measurement. Sometimes what the company says, for example the zoo med website, isn't always appropriate. The problem is you don't know it until you measure with the meter. do a search under 6.2 m and see what you come up with. There should be some threads in the enclosure setting under lighting. I had a discussion about this in one of my threads, I think it was titled something like "lighting a large enclosure" @Tom was helpful.

Yes. Once you know what it SHOULD be, it is very easy to raise/lower/switch bulbs out. But I have never seen an actually "number" for it. The companies all tell you how much output the bulb gives at a distance, but do not tell you what should be achieved for your reptile/tortoise species.

@Tom is going to just tell us to take the darn tortoises outside for sunlight ;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, it is frustrating. It is helpful to know the "therapeutic range" so to speak. I am not sure where to find this information but somebody around here is got to have it so hopefully they will chime in soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have both meter, but the 6.5 meter is a more accurate reading of the actual part of the UV spectrum that our tortoises need. I stopped using my 6.2 meter and I can't remember the numbers from my 6.2. I'll have to get new readings when I have time.

I do remember that regular 5.0 bulbs produce almost no UV and the 10.0 bulbs produce only a little and must be around 10" away from the tortoise to do much good.

I have some Arcadia 12% bulbs and those things produce some serious UV. Could be dangerous if mounted too close or used for too long. I get readings of 6.1 or 6.2 on the UV index at about 18" away. I think that would be around 300 on the 6.2 meter.That's as much as the mid day summer sun. I have the HO bulbs on a timer for just 4 hours a day, mid day, to simulate real sun.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is interesting Tom. I was thinking about getting the Arcadia bulbs but I think they would be too much. I think I would recommend people getting the high output bulbs and fixtures. Unless the bulbs are very close, within 12 inches of the tortoiseshell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is interesting Tom. I was thinking about getting the Arcadia bulbs but I think they would be too much. I think I would recommend people getting the high output bulbs and fixtures. Unless the bulbs are very close, within 12 inches of the tortoiseshell.
The distance and light meter reading is what should determine bulb mounting height. 12" or under and you can use regular 10.0 bulbs. 17" or over and you can use HO bulbs. Reflector hoods make a huge difference too.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That makes sense, but when the distances are somewhere in the middle then you just have to go by the readings I think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That makes sense, but when the distances are somewhere in the middle then you just have to go by the readings I think.

I think people ought to go by the readings at any distance with any bulbs. Otherwise, they are just guessing. Like using a heat lamp with no thermometer.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Unfortunately, most people don't. I think we just tend to assume that what the company says is right. It is too bad that the meters cost so darn much. That is why it took me so long to get one.

Zeko

5 Year Member
So an update!

Brand new "Zilla" Florescent tubes, Desert 10 UVB, and Tropics 10 UVB (Have not broken in, stated 30% loss once broken in is typical)

Using SolarMeter 6.2:

2" away
Desert: 200 UVB
Tropics: 120 UVB

6" away
Desert: 50 UVB
Tropics 40 UVB

Ground level 15" away:
Desert: 20 UVB
Tropics:10 UVB

Now, I have an almost 3 year old Cherry Redfoot Tortoise who has been under yearly replaced Tropics 5 UVB tubes for all it's life. It has a smooth shell, and no signs of any lack of UVB. Does this mean 10 UVB is ideal? Not sure. But it does mean for MY Redfoot, 10 UVB (plus any loss over a year) at shell height was acceptable. He did NOT get much outdoor UVB.

My Sulcata has been under the above Desert lights, and so far seems to be growing healthy and smooth.

I hope @Tom can find his 6.2 meter and give us a ground level reading, so I can determine if the 20 UVB ground level will be acceptable for the Sulcata.

This is an interesting topic, and I hope we can gather enough info to help people in the future!
Brad

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I found this thread as I am also wondering what numbers I should be aiming for when I use my *brand new* UV meter (6.2 Solarmeter as well)

I had a 2 month old Zoo Med ReptiSun® 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb and the readings were about 20. My light is about 12 inches from the substrate. I put a brand new one of these lights in and I had readings up to 125. I don't know if my 2 month old bulb is a dud or what.

Does anyone else use this meter that can help me out with the ideal numbers?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't know if there is such a thing as ideal. Personally, I like to see at least 50 uW/cm² in the basking zone, going up to just over 100 uW/cm². Keep in mind this is with an acceptable UVI. If the UVI is too high, I'd raise the lamp until the UVI dropped into an acceptable range.

This is also only in the basking zone. One of the things I dislike about the fluorescent tubes is that they make it easy to cover the entire enclosure with UVB exposure, which isn't always a good thing. I would make sure there is an area where the animal could retreat away from the UVB if necessary.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So at 125uW you would suggest moving the fluorescent tube up a bit more, then? I have a Redfoot so she shouldn't have the intensity required for any desert species.

I have a few hiding spots my tortoise can run to if she doesn't want to be under the light, it would completely block her from UV exposure.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I have both meter, but the 6.5 meter is a more accurate reading of the actual part of the UV spectrum that our tortoises need. I stopped using my 6.2 meter and I can't remember the numbers from my 6.2. I'll have to get new readings when I have time.

I do remember that regular 5.0 bulbs produce almost no UV and the 10.0 bulbs produce only a little and must be around 10" away from the tortoise to do much good.

I have some Arcadia 12% bulbs and those things produce some serious UV. Could be dangerous if mounted too close or used for too long. I get readings of 6.1 or 6.2 on the UV index at about 18" away. I think that would be around 300 on the 6.2 meter.That's as much as the mid day summer sun. I have the HO bulbs on a timer for just 4 hours a day, mid day, to simulate real sun.
How long have you been using the Arcadias? What is the strength factor from when you first started to now?