UVB lighting question

TortillaEnrique

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
We bought a solarmeter 6.5 recently to make sure our young sulcata is getting enough UVB. The reading shows about 2.3 directly under the lamp (he is usually more to the side because the basking bulb is next to it). The lamp is 18inches from his shell and no cage or glass blocking it. I understand that is still pretty low UVB for a sulcata. This is a new bulb (maybe 1-2 months old). I was wondering if I added another Zoomed T5 HO 24watt bulb next to the current one, would this increase the UVB? I can not lower the current lamp any more because it is resting on his enclosure (and I don’t want it too close). Any advice would be appreciated! :) Also, natural sunlight is not an option right now because it is cold up north currently….but we plan on moving south in a year or so!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would not add another UVB. 2.3 can actually be fine for the production of D3. The previtamin D is produced in the skin quite quickly with moderate UV exposure. It is actually the conversion of that previtamin D into D3 that takes warmth and time. So the UVB needed is not a huge amount. Basking heat is needed in good quantity and duration.

I would simply leave your UVB you have now on for about 6-8 hours per day. That will be plenty for the previtamin D production needed. Sulcatas in the wild are not out basking in midday sun when you hear about reading of 10.0 or even 6.0. So a lot of the ferguson zone readings you will hear about need to be taken with a bit of latitude. Sulcatas bask early morning - probably when UVI reading there would be very much in the range you are providing - 2.0 - 3,0.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We bought a solarmeter 6.5 recently to make sure our young sulcata is getting enough UVB. The reading shows about 2.3 directly under the lamp (he is usually more to the side because the basking bulb is next to it). The lamp is 18inches from his shell and no cage or glass blocking it. I understand that is still pretty low UVB for a sulcata. This is a new bulb (maybe 1-2 months old). I was wondering if I added another Zoomed T5 HO 24watt bulb next to the current one, would this increase the UVB? I can not lower the current lamp any more because it is resting on his enclosure (and I don’t want it too close). Any advice would be appreciated! :) Also, natural sunlight is not an option right now because it is cold up north currently….but we plan on moving south in a year or so!
What Mark said...

TortillaEnrique

Massachusetts
I would not add another UVB. 2.3 can actually be fine for the production of D3. The previtamin D is produced in the skin quite quickly with moderate UV exposure. It is actually the conversion of that previtamin D into D3 that takes warmth and time. So the UVB needed is not a huge amount. Basking heat is needed in good quantity and duration.

I would simply leave your UVB you have now on for about 6-8 hours per day. That will be plenty for the previtamin D production needed. Sulcatas in the wild are not out basking in midday sun when you hear about reading of 10.0 or even 6.0. So a lot of the ferguson zone readings you will hear about need to be taken with a bit of latitude. Sulcatas bask early morning - probably when UVI reading there would be very much in the range you are providing - 2.0 - 3,0.
Thank you for your reply!! :) that was super helpful