Solar Eclipse

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
And the right size + shape and at the right distance! Imagine if they were on the same plane, then we'd have full eclipses multiple times a year. There's also the 'donut style' partial eclipse where the sun and the moon are in alignment (like today) but the moon is at its farthest distance from earth so it is too small to eclipse the sun (annular eclipse). When that happens the moon looks like a donut hole in the middle of the sun and you can't see the corona. Other partial eclipses are also much more common. Sigh.

Then there's Jupiter, which is rollin' in moons and has total solar eclipses on the regular :cool:

Ok nerd tangent over 😂
"Sigh." But not larger EVER at max distance is the point.

_The_Beast_

Canada
"Sigh." But not larger EVER at max distance is the point.
Just in case there's a need for clarification, my sigh was wistful and full of happy nerdy wonder and enjoyment at the shared excitement and conversation that was growing, not passive aggressive or however it seems to have been interpreted here.

Loooovvvveeeee all the pics folks have been sharing! Did others encounter any weird creature behaviour from their tort or otherwise? I wasn't home, so couldn't tell if WL or our cat reacted. My guess is they were too busy napping.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just in case there's a need for clarification, my sigh was wistful and full of happy nerdy wonder and enjoyment at the shared excitement and conversation that was growing, not passive aggressive or however it seems to have been interpreted here.

Loooovvvveeeee all the pics folks have been sharing! Did others encounter any weird creature behaviour from their tort or otherwise? I wasn't home, so couldn't tell if WL or our cat reacted. My guess is they were too busy napping.
My dogs went to bed earlier yesterday. My wife and i noticed that after the eclipse the birds were singing/chirping/squaking louder than usual. Other than that....

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wonder if anyone played Cat Stevens "Moon Shadow" during the eclipse. It played in my head all day and we didn't even get any eclipse but around 17 percent.😒

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wonder if anyone played Cat Stevens "Moon Shadow" during the eclipse. It played in my head all day and we didn't even get any eclipse but around 17 percent.😒
Just how old do you think people here are anyway, Tammy? Cat who???

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

That's what my animals did this time even though we had about 98% coverage. They just slept. It got somewhat dark and the temperature dropped. I didn't watch it. But I did watch CBS televise it from all over. The last one in 2017 my bunny and cat came up and sat in front of me through it. They didn't take their eyes off of me the whole time.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Oh god now I DO feel old. Bark at he Moon? Bad Moon Rising? Harvest Moon? Hunters Moon? Fly me to the Moon? There, I think I covered most of the age ranges here. lol
Moon River. Moonlight and Roses. Paper Moon.