Keeping 2 male Hermann's

gurgleblaster

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte
Firstly I recognize this is not a good thing to normally do. I am keeping close tabs on an hourly basis to monitor the situation. We had originally not realized that it was a bad idea when we first got them and the shop owner said it should be fine. I have extensively worked on their environment for the indoors and continue to work on their outdoors area. Currently they occupy a terrarium with 6 sq ft. (2 sq. Ft on top 4sq.ft. on the bottom with half of that in shade. They are roughly the same size and energy level. Fresh greens supplied throughout the day when they are indoors. As they mature I reckon a separate enclosure may be necessary.

Current behavior issues: none, they keep to themselves during the day and eat just fine next to each other.

Observations: during the day they explore various parts of the terrarium. The slightly bigger one preferring to chill under the heat lamp and roams the upper area. The slightly smaller one is more curious and roams the entirety of the terrarium often investigating new changes I make through the day.

What to watch for currently: any nipping. I know if I hold still enough they might attempt to nip my fingers but other wise ignore them. They prefer to sleep next to each other and burrowed. Rarely do they sleep at other portions of the terrarium curious but may be related to heat source position.

Included is an image of their sleep positions and habitat early morning so lights have yet to turn on.

IMG_20200621_075540244.jpgIMG_20200621_075531630.jpg

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
What is your question. Keeping two torts together especially males will end very badly.
Is the space big enough before I can get another enclosure prepared? I meant to include this in the original post.i have about 2 weeks before I can have the materials to build my second enclosure in the meantime I can set up dividers if necessary. Should I immediately separate or is the current situation fine since they are not matured males

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Is the space big enough before I can get another enclosure prepared? I meant to include this in the original post.i have about 2 weeks before I can have the materials to build my second enclosure in the meantime I can set up dividers if necessary. Should I immediately separate or is the current situation fine since they are not matured males
It is just a gamble. When I first got my torts, I had them in the same enclosure for a couple months without problems but for others, their torts have gotten seriously hurt within days. I believe that it is too much a risk, I would just separate them for a now. They could be a little crammed until you get the materials. How big are they?

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
It is just a gamble. When I first got my torts, I had them in the same enclosure for a couple months without problems but for others, their torts have gotten seriously hurt within days. I believe that it is too much a risk, I would just separate them for a now. They could be a little crammed until you get the materials. How big are they?
Roughly 6"shell size 7"neck fully extended

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
There are many ways of making cheap tortoise tables. For example, you can get a used book case and flip it over.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I have an 2.6 x 6.7 indoor and 6x6 outdoor for my tortoise. The indoor is home made and cost me maybe 50 bucks to make. You can see it in my media. It doesn't have to cost a lot to make something good and safe.

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
Ok thanks
I have an 2.6 x 6.7 indoor and 6x6 outdoor for my tortoise. The indoor is home made and cost me maybe 50 bucks to make. You can see it in my media. It doesn't have to cost a lot to make something good and safe.
Oh the two weeks is because we are on home quarantine until our Covid tests come back. My area is backlogged and that was their estimate. It could be as soon as tomorrow or as long as two weeks. I went ahead and put dividers in. And will build next one as soon as I can. One gets the upstairs the other has the downstairs

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good that you separated them before anything terrible happened.

Each tortoise will need its own 4x8' enclosure indoors, and hopefully much larger than that outdoors.

Check this out for ideas and info: