Soil and worms

AndyC

Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
So I am building a new enclosure for my redfoots, and it's going to be pretty big. That said, I am wondering if earthworms would be possible to put in their soil.
I once read (and of course I can't remember where/when) that they can help keep the viv cleaner as they will process droppings and dead foliage back into good soil.
If this is possible, what kind of soil is safe for my torts yet able to sustain a livable environment for the worms?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, you can safely use works. Also pill bugs will help with keeping the enclosure clean. I don't know what kind of soil worms need, I would just use plain dirt, with no pesticides or fertilizers. Maybe mix in some coconut coir just to help the dirt be a bit lighter.

AndyC

Wyoming
If I use some dirt from around this ranch going to be sufficient mixed with coconut coir? We have plenty of unfertalized untouched ground. I've just never really seen much about using local dirt.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We have plenty of unfertalized untouched ground. I've just never really seen much about using local dirt.
I've used some of the, "soil" from my pasture for my sulcata indoor enclosures as well as in outdoor hothouses. I'll mix some peat moss with it also to keep it from being too compacted.
I'm in Oregon and I've been known to take a nice 3"-4" thick shovelful of heavy broadleaf weeds and set that chunk in with the hatchlings for them to graze on as they'd like. When fed complete, I just switch it out with a replacement chunk.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing wrong with using regular old local dirt in your enclosure.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
While bringing in these pasture clumps of forage for the indoor enclosure, I usually ended up bringing in many living things as well from earthworms to tiny baby spiders and moth larva. The spiders would end up with neat webs in the corners and feed on the adult moths.

AndyC

Wyoming
Thank you all for the help. Relieved a bit of stress from this whole project.