Social Behaviors & Communication

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Michael is a member here. Hasn't posted in a VERY long time. If I'm remembering correctly, his username was @chelonologist

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you so much for posting this! I think that with his tough skin and hard shell, that I have been touching Chug a bit too aggressively. I've never been rough with him, but needed a softer touch.
Today during his soak I rubbed his arms, legs, head, and shell as lightly as I could. He responded by sprawling out in the water, and really seemed to enjoy the rub, rather than just tolerating it.
I also had never realized about the nose touching. My thumb happened to be above his face, and he reached out and bumped his nose against it.
I really believe we interacted in a more positive way today, a way he understood.
I know he's a tortoise, and will never be like a dog or cat. But I do think it is possible to have a pleasant exchange that does not involve food.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I don't know if it made a difference. He is so friendly anyway. He always turns from what he is doing to come see me. I bobbed and he just looked at me. He didn't bob back. Then I petted him and he went on his way.

Lmbo!!! I want to try it too but I sure wish I had a video to watch of your trial first [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have always petted/touched my tortoises legs, necks, heads and petted their shells. I also have always went nose to nose with them and I make a kissing noise when I do. My tortoises come too me and lets me still pet them all over. They usually will stretch their necks out for head or neck rubs. I have always promoted touching your tort as early as possible and often. A friendly confident animal of any kind makes a good pet and vet patient.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have always petted/touched my tortoises legs, necks, heads and petted their shells. I also have always went nose to nose with them and I make a kissing noise when I do. My tortoises come too me and lets me still pet them all over. They usually will stretch their necks out for head or neck rubs. I have always promoted touching your tort as early as possible and often. A friendly confident animal of any kind makes a good pet and vet patient.

Ditto over here! Same thing!

N

no one

Thank you for sharing!! I always love to observe and learn about my animals. And I like to interact in way that is pleasant for them, not just for me. I always try to give them their space and just let them feel me. I don't how to explain, but it has to do with being in sync with your animal. In the moment, sort of...
I guess I just want them to feel save with me. I don't like to cross boundaries. Interact on their level. Let them come to me. If that makes sence.
Interesting stuff!!