Smelly, Sluggish Baby Sulcata (Need Help!)

Happydot1235

Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have two baby sulcatas that have all the sudden become very sluggish, and one has a smell of wet dog. I'm scared they could have RI or renal failure or mouth rot. They haven't been eating or drinking lately, and the one that smells won't open his left eye. He also seems to be missing one nostril.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. Please post pictures of the enclosure the type of lights and heat your using the temps and humidity of enclosure, how many soaks a day and diet. Also size of enclosure and age of torts. Do you know how they were raised before you got them?

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't know the humidity because it changes day to day, and the temperature is kept at around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. The age of the tortoises and life before our procession is unknown because we bought them from online. I soak them 3 times a week.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That's too cold for a baby sully. Should be north of 80 deg. Do you have a humidity guage for your enclosure? You need one. Need the enclosure sealed off at the top to retain humidity. What kind of substrate are u using?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! I'm sorry you are having such serious troubles with your babies!
It's a lot of reading, but read these threads, and see what changes you may need to make in their enclosures or diet.
Please post pictures of their carapaces and plastrons, as well as their faces, and enclosures. And tell us where you got them, how long you've had them, etc.
We'll do all we can to help you and your babies.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hi! I'm sorry you are having such serious troubles with your babies!
It's a lot of reading, but read these threads, and see what changes you may need to make in their enclosures or diet.
Please post pictures of their carapaces and plastrons, as well as their faces, and enclosures. And tell us where you got them, how long you've had them, etc.
We'll do all we can to help you and your babies.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
I will do. Thank you very much.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Cool. Work on getting the temps and humidity up. There's plenty more I could suggest, but that would be a good start.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only see one bulb and it looks like a halogen? I would stop using it, it's probably causing the eye issue, too intense and too close. What are you using for night heat? Temps need to stay no lower then 80 with basking of 95-100. They need uvb and that enclosure is not good for anything to do with a baby tortoise. Read the caresheets and closed chamber thread and make changes asap.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I only see one bulb and it looks like a halogen? I would stop using it, it's probably causing the eye issue, too intense and too close. What are you using for night heat? Temps need to stay no lower then 80 with basking of 95-100. They need uvb and that enclosure is not good for anything to do with a baby tortoise. Read the caresheets and closed chamber thread and make changes asap.
I often wonder if some folks get overwhelmed at all the advice they get here. Lol

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

All we are using is the one bulb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I often wonder if some folks get overwhelmed at all the advice they get here. Lol
Yes, they do and some have said so. Unfortunately too many wait till there's a problem to do research. Then everyone tries quickly to help and give advice because things are so wrong and need changing quick. Luckily, being in writing the info can be read over and over until one has it all down.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All we are using is the one bulb.
Yeah, that's not giving night heat. You need to change things according to the caresheets and quickly. If you are located some place where it's warm and sunny during the day get them outside for about an hour every day but be sure they can move and have shade to get into.

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yeah, that's not giving night heat. You need to change things according to the caresheets and quickly. If you are located some place where it's warm and sunny during the day get them outside for about an hour every day but be sure they can move and have shade to get into.

I live in Louisiana and we have been do that. But it is becoming winter and the whether is getting quite bad.