Baby sulcata in trouble?

Jake1997

So I've been doing tons of research and I think my baby sulcata is either sick, has hatching failure syndrome, or MBD. Im still a noobie so im not entirely sure. So i have had him for about 9 months and he is currently about 40 grams. He was about 30 g when i got him and hasn't gained much weight at all. He used to eat like crazy now he won't eat and is sluggish. Ill pick him up and he will open his eyes but when I put him back down he will shut them right away. Even if there is food in front of him. He hasn't pooped in a while either so i can't take that to get examined. Also his shell if soft but i figured thats cause he was a baby? I have been soaking him in baby food carrots for the past 3 days but i don't see much improvement. Im in college and i don't have oodles of money for vet bills. However, ill do anything really to save him.

My set up is
basking spot- 95-100 degrees, cool side about 70-75 ish
UV light- slimline 15 watt
bedding- reptibark
humidity level is about 80 percent but I'm in class most of the day so it doesnt stay at 80.

Im going to move him into a new setup pretty soon. Its going to be a 55 gal aquarium and the UVB light should be closer than what is at now. Also since i live in NC the weather is not great in january so I do not get him outside a whole lot. Could this have any effect on his condition? Ill hopefully get some pictures of everything up tomorrow.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What about hydration? And his cool side needs to be over 80 now that he is failing. And at 9 months even after six months the shell should be pretty solid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the over all temp upto 85 day and night. Add pedialyte to the carrot soaks. I am not familiar with the slim light, it's not a coil type bulb right?
What are you using for night time heat. Get a couple ceramic heat emitters, they give off heat not light. Good luck keep us posted

Jake1997

I have a ceramic heat emitter on during the day and during the night. Which boosts the temp, but I think ill get another one for the other side during the night to keep the temps elevated. the UV light is a tube not a coil. As for hydration, Theres a water dish in the enclosure and i soak him in baby food at noon and then in warm water at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I've been doing tons of research and I think my baby sulcata is either sick, has hatching failure syndrome, or MBD. Im still a noobie so im not entirely sure. So i have had him for about 9 months and he is currently about 40 grams. He was about 30 g when i got him and hasn't gained much weight at all. He used to eat like crazy now he won't eat and is sluggish. Ill pick him up and he will open his eyes but when I put him back down he will shut them right away. Even if there is food in front of him. He hasn't pooped in a while either so i can't take that to get examined. Also his shell if soft but i figured thats cause he was a baby? I have been soaking him in baby food carrots for the past 3 days but i don't see much improvement. Im in college and i don't have oodles of money for vet bills. However, ill do anything really to save him.

My set up is
basking spot- 95-100 degrees, cool side about 70-75 ish
UV light- slimline 15 watt
bedding- reptibark
humidity level is about 80 percent but I'm in class most of the day so it doesnt stay at 80.

Im going to move him into a new setup pretty soon. Its going to be a 55 gal aquarium and the UVB light should be closer than what is at now. Also since i live in NC the weather is not great in january so I do not get him outside a whole lot. Could this have any effect on his condition? Ill hopefully get some pictures of everything up tomorrow.

Offer the best conditions you can, keep temps up, do your soaks, BUT I'm sorry to tell you that if your babies kidneys were damaged right after it hatched because of poor care at the breeders, there is nothing that can be done. Some will make it and some won't. All you can do is give it your best and hope. No amount of money spent at a vet will make a difference as far as this is concerned.

Jake1997

What are the chances of survival usually. Does it depend on how bad their kidneys were damaged. Can they repair themselves?

Bee62

Germany
Hello Jake,

I am sorry to read that your baby sulcata is so sick. It really hurts me because I own 3 baby sulcatas too.
40 gr. of your little one is much to less for a 9 month old baby. My 6 month old babies weight 175 - 185 gr. And my torts have a hard shell. There is nothing soft.
Sorry, but your baby is very sick and you must know that soon it may die.
Damaged kidneys can not repare themselve and can not be repared by any medicine.
Do things like Tom wrote you. Soak your baby in warm water and carot. Keep it warm, day and night and install a new UVB bulb as soon as possible.
Fingers crossed for your little one.

Sabine

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You must get those cold side temps up. 70-75 is much to cold. Shoot for 83-85

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Jake1997 . Terribly sorry to know your tort is ill.:(

Please make sure he's warm enough, and keep us updated.

Wishes for a speedy recovery to your tort. :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the 100 watt MVB because it provides heat AND UVB in one fixture:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

But in some of my tort tables I use this instead. I really like how bright the light is from this one, but no heat, so you have to have a heat source:

Fluorescent UVB light a.jpg

Jake1997

I have him set up in a new enclose where heat and moisture will stay a lot better. So I really hope that it will help. Quick question, How long can babies go without eating. I remember him eating like a week or so ago.

Jake1997

Well somewhat good news. This afternoon was the first time in a while that he showed interest in his food. Even though he didn't eat a whole lot its a start. I think that the baby food soaks are doing something!!!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I would make everything as easy as possible for him. Chop up his food very fine. Make it so he could walk into his dish not have to climb into it. tanks work best for babies. you can adjust the humidity better. Raising cool side temps to 85 while he's sick will help, especially if he has an respiratory infection. Good luck.

Bee62

Germany
Glad to hear the good news. All my fingers are again and again crossed for your little tort.

Jake1997

He is improving. slowly but at least its something. He is eating which is good and seems to have a lot more energy!