Small sulcata?

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Found this in the local Craigslist:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/5891739409.html
8 inches for a 7 year old seems small to me but he looks pretty good with minimal pyramiding. I've made several attempts to contact the owner since he posted the ad about 2 weeks ago but I'm guessing all mail goes to his junk folder like all inquiries from CL on my accounts. He just reposted this morning.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
if you're interested in this tortoise I would advise caution based on the picture it looks like it has a small case of Metabolic Bone disorder. Just go into this fore warned.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Found this in the local Craigslist:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/5891739409.html
8 inches for a 7 year old seems small to me but he looks pretty good with minimal pyramiding. I've made several attempts to contact the owner since he posted the ad about 2 weeks ago but I'm guessing all mail goes to his junk folder like all inquiries from CL on my accounts. He just reposted this morning.
Considering my Speedy is just over 2 years old , and is 10 1/2 inches , 7 + pounds , and not really overly large I would be VERY cautious ! If he gave you that tort free , you wouldn't think it was a good deal when the Vet bills start piling up !

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Considering my Speedy is just over 2 years old , and is 10 1/2 inches , 7 + pounds , and not really overly large I would be VERY cautious ! If he gave you that tort free , you wouldn't think it was a good deal when the Vet bills start piling up !
Yes, my leopard is 3 years old and 10 inches
but I did read some tortoises are just small for their age but you guys are right, better to be cautious.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
8" at 7 years old indicates that there was a problem at some point.

Maybe too cold, or too dry. Maybe fed wrong. Maybe a dry started baby that is stunted. Maybe hatched on Perlite and left in the incubator too long. Lots of possibilities.

Bee62

Germany
This is just my opinion, please do not take it personally.
I would buy the tortoise for $ 50, just to save the animal.
Here in Germany one would ask for such a tortoise probably more money. If you buy an animal you can never be sure if it is healthy.
But she is too small for her age.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's small, but it looks good to me. I wouldn't see this as a rescue situation - just a tortoise who for many possible reasons didn't grow as fast as the average captive sulcata.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
8" at 7 years old indicates that there was a problem at some point.

Maybe too cold, or too dry. Maybe fed wrong. Maybe a dry started baby that is stunted. Maybe hatched on Perlite and left in the incubator too long. Lots of possibilities.
Is there any hope for the lil fella? Are there any possible health problems associated with his small stature (if he doesn't have mbd)?
I don't mind if he is just small. I just want to give him a good home and proper care if there aren't any complications.
Anyway, the owner hasn't responded leading me to think all inquiries go to his junk folder. There is no contact number.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I say get him if you can. Honestly he looks bigger than what they posted and his shell looks pretty good to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there any hope for the lil fella?

Sure there is. He might be perfectly fine. There is no way to know. Its a gamble.

The small size for his age is an indicator that there might be health issues. His size could be due to any of the things that have previously been mentioned in this thread. This guy might live 100 more years and be perfectly fine. Or he could die next week. No way to predict it.

Bee62

Germany
@Subersibo

Buy the tortoise. Your heart has already decided for her anyway ...:tort::<3:
Please let us know if you could contact the seller and the tortoise is with you.

I wish you good luck for your purchase

Sabine

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Every time you take on a new pet its a gamble . We have all heard story's of seemingly healthy animals , that are well cared for have problems ! If your heart is set on it I say "go for it!"

MParsons327

I would call and get as much info as possible. It looks healthy to me. Maybe the current owner isn't really aware of his current age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would call and get as much info as possible. It looks healthy to me. Maybe the current owner isn't really aware of his current age.

Good point. We are all assuming that the given info is correct. It might not be.