skin growth

carlos82

Hello. I recently got a sulcata tortoise. Was told it's a male about 10 years old. He has a skin growth on his neck. Not sure if it's a tumor. I know it's not normal. It doesn't seem to affect him eating or any activity. I have not taken him to a vet. And cannot seem to find a vet with knowledge of a sulcata tortoise. Just dog and cat vets. Just wondering what you guys might think it is and if anyone has ever seen this.

20151224_120016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

Holy Crap!!! That's not normal, bet it's filled with fluid. Is it hard or soft? Seems to me that any Vet can look at that and know what it is, on a person, dog or tort. We have a list of exotic Vets on the home page. Look up your town and find one. Or my sis I'm sure will attract attention to this thread to some of our members who are Veterinarians....Don't leave until you get some good advice please, and welcome.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-vet-list.126/

there...
@Yvonne G

carlos82

Yea. Feels soft. I'm in Los Angeles. Saw on that link 3 vets within range. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like goiter. It is an iodine deficiency and the thyroid gland swells. It can be caused by being fed too many veggies in the brassica family. From Reptiles magazine:

" Food plant species in the Cruciferae (Brassicaceae) family contain glucosinolates, which probably play a role in the plant’s defenses against predators and fungal attack. When consumed by humans and animals, especially in excessive amounts, glucosinolates can inhibit thyroid gland functioning, causing enlargement and atrophy of the gland, or goiter. The Brassica species that contain goitrogens include broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, rutabaga, kohlrabi and the oilseeds, rapeseed and canola. "

carlos82

Ok...so how can I get iodine supplement? I read the article it says how it can happen and how to treat it..with iodine but where do I get that from ? I checked petco Web site they online have marine iodine for coral and fish tank use

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would hesitate to arbitrarily use any treatment I found on the web without first seeing the vet and getting an expert opinion. There are a couple of very good reptile vets in SoCal. Your tortoise's life might depend upon a vet visit. Just because I told you it looked like goiter doesn't mean that's what it is. Don't forget, I'm looking at a picture on a screen, not the real tortoise in real life.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I seen something similar on a vet show on TV. I know as seen on TV. They said it was fatty tissue and it needed an operation to remove it . But they sent off all kinds of test samples before the surgery . They ended up cutting it out . Tortoise made a full recovery . It was a 100 pound sulcata that had it . I wish I could remember the name of the show . You can rest assured if Yvonne says take your tortoise to a vet do it .She is one of the experts here with over 20 years of rehabbing tortoises.

Last edited:
M

Maggie Cummings

Man, my sister is smart. Sometimes I'm way impressed....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is an excellent tortoise vet:

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490
Fax: (858) 484-3499

...and so is this one:

Greek & Associates Veterinary Hospital
23687 Via Del Rio
Yorba Linda, CA 92887
714-463-1190
http://gavh.net/

carlos82

I would hesitate to arbitrarily use any treatment I found on the web without first seeing the vet and getting an expert opinion. There are a couple of very good reptile vets in SoCal. Your tortoise's life might depend upon a vet visit. Just because I told you it looked like goiter doesn't mean that's what it is. Don't forget, I'm looking at a picture on a screen, not the real tortoise in real life.

That's true. Plus I read more on that and it also happens if it has too much iodine...assuming it is a goiter

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I take my tortoises to Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda. He is a fantastic vet.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I seen something similar on a vet show on TV. I know as seen on TV. They said it was fatty tissue and it needed an operation to remove it . But they sent off all kinds of test samples before the surgery . They ended up cutting it out . Tortoise made a full recovery . It was a 100 pound sulcata that had it . I wish I could remember the name of the show . You can rest assured if Yvonne says take your tortoise to a vet do it .She is one of the experts here with over 20 years of rehabbing tortoises.

I think that's Dr. K on Animal Planet? I saw that episode recently! And I was totally thinking about it when I saw this post.

I hope you choose to go to the vet, and that the vet has some answers for you!