Injured neck on my hermanns tortoise

Rachelmwade

Hi I'm wondering someone may be able to help me my tortoise has a sore on his neck I'm not too sure what it's from I think it could be the sharp point of his shell so I have put a plaster over to cover however it still doesn't seem to be healing and he has later scratched his neck again so thinking it may be something else I am a little worried it just going to get worse I have taken him to the vets and was charged £15 and all they told me was that there was nothing I could do but bathe him in warm salt water to heal up however it doesn't seem to be helping any suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated thankyou!​

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi I'm wondering someone may be able to help me my tortoise has a sore on his neck I'm not too sure what it's from I think it could be the sharp point of his shell so I have put a plaster over to cover however it still doesn't seem to be healing and he has later scratched his neck again so thinking it may be something else I am a little worried it just going to get worse I have taken him to the vets and was charged £15 and all they told me was that there was nothing I could do but bathe him in warm salt water to heal up however it doesn't seem to be helping any suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated thankyou!​

That does not look like damage from rubbing against a rough shell edge..looks like an abscess has blown open or something burrowed and and has exited that spot...when you apply pressure to either side of the area does puss or fluid gunk come out? I would use a small squeeze bottle and do warm water flushes of the area and be sure that the tort remain indoors away from where any fly can lay eggs in that wound..that is indeed a wound area and not a scratch...oh, I would also get a different vet..