Skin shedding??

jadeburke

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hey, my boyfriend recently got a russian tortoise and as first time owners i’m a little concerned about the skin splitting on his neck. I know tortoises do shed their skin but just curious if this is what that is. If there’s a reason for concern here then please leave any recommendations on what we can do to take better care of him! Thanks :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hey, my boyfriend recently got a russian tortoise and as first time owners i’m a little concerned about the skin splitting on his neck. I know tortoises do shed their skin but just curious if this is what that is. If there’s a reason for concern here then please leave any recommendations on what we can do to take better care of him! Thanks :)
Hello Jade and welcome from Devon. Your little chap's skin will shed bits as he grows, but giving him daily soaks in warm water up to the join of the upper and lower shells for 20 minutes or more will hydrate him, and you can splash some water over his neck and head and top shell a few times while he is there - that will help. i am sure someone who knows more than me will be along soon, to tell you about care sheets and so on. I am glad you have found this forum, as there are lots of really knowledgeable people here, and everyone is kind and very helpful.
Angie