Sidewalk Lawn

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Can I let my tort walk around on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the road. Stating the obvious, I will be 3 ft away the entire time. And I won't let him eat the grass because I don't know what it is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't. The cars driving by have deposited emissions on the greenery that grows near the street. Have you ever noticed how black the eucalyptus trees along the freeway are? That's tail pipe emissions. Its not quite as bad on a residential street, but I wouldn't let my tortoise eat any. And a walk always includes a bite or two.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Why would you want to do this?

If you put him on the grass, most likely he'll try to eat it. What if it was recently sprayed with pesticides?

What if he is walking along and you sneeze or look up at a loud noise you just heard. Then you look back down and you don't see Mr. Turtle. Uh oh. Where did he go?? I swear he was just right here! You start frantically looking in one direction while he is headed in the other.

Build him a tortoise enclosure and let him wander freely in a tort safe paradise :D

MyTrek

Oxford, Ohio, USA
My neighbor used to spray every inch of his yard with diazinon. I used to worry that my cat would go over there. I will never take my tort to a patch of grass I can't be sure was not sprayed.