Is Lawn Fertilizer Safe after 2 Months?

dhruvstortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, CA
Hi,

My lawn was fertilized at the start of June 2017. I recently read that tortoises should have a lot of grass in their diet. My lawn has Bermuda grass so I gave some to my tortoise to eat. I'm wondering if it's safe because it has been two months and the gardeners have clipped the grass 2-3 times. I've seen many conflicting sources, so I'm a bit scared that my tortoise will fall sick.

-Thanks,
Dhruv

Kasia

Poland
What kind of fertilizer?
I would say no, pesticides are hard to get rid of and they are made to not be washed away easily.
If I were you I would wait 6 months till year at least dependent on the chemical used. Better safe then sorry.

Bambam1989

East Texas
You might consider growing your own fodder for your tort. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. You just have to decide what kind of grass to use.

Alaskamike

South Florida
You need to know exactly what was used on your lawn.

Anything pesticides can poison torts.
Fertilizer - unless eaten directly - just feeds the plant.

If it's maintained by a rental company , condo association , etc , I would not trust it. Sometimes even the gardeners don't know.

If you own it , did it yourself , or have a company do it. You can find out for certain.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't trust only two months. A lot depends on the amount of rain or watering that was done too. Try to find out the length of time the fertiler is active for. Some are 6 months, some are less. If no info can be found, then I would wait a month or two more and water the heck out of it to get it washed down further into the ground.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It depends on the type of fertilizer. We used manure, which is safe.