Long and thin outdoor enclosure?

Tornado

5 Year Member
We got our 3-5yr Russian last September after a month of being in our new house. We have three kids, a cat, dog, our Russian and a Beardie and only .11 acre lot.

Our Russian really likes this long strip in our backyard, between the fence and the sidewalk. Every time we bring him into the backyard, he walks all the way across the yard to this area and walks back and forth along the strip. It stretches the entire length of our backyard, but is only about 1.5 ft wide (or about 3 of him long) and has an 8-steps-steep hill at one end of it. If we were to close off the whole length for him, would the width still be a big deal?

Tornado

5 Year Member
I'm thinking close to 60+ feet. I have a sandbox about 2/3rd the way from the house that we were going to attach a 45' retractable clothesline to and the clothesline is too short to reach from the house. I'm just not sure how much more length beyond the 45'. I wouldn't double it, but I'd think at least another 15-20'.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I think it would be enough but I'm no russian expert. I think if there is a variety of hides/plants/elevations than it will be plenty of square footage to make him a happy tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is it the area in your avatar pic? Chain link is a no no. It can hurt them and they will never stop trying to push through it. I don't think 1.5 feet is wide enough.

Maybe show us a pic so we can offer better suggestions?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think your length is good....I would wonder though....is this a spot that he will spend all of his life in or does he come in sometimes to an indoor enclosure....like during brumation or during bad weather....does this spot appear to be the low point on the property? Will it flood ? Does it get shade partially all day as well as does it get sun at some point during the day for a few hours? What type of soil is it? rocks, earth, concrete? When you say 8 steps steep...what does that mean? Does that mean that the elevation raises the tort closer to the top of the fence line and will that allow the tort to escape? Remember these guys are FAB climbers....especially in a corner opportunity....

The chain link can be modified to be just fine....if you place a smooth barrier along the bottom of the fence line he will be fine...lets say something like this if you are concerned about the open chain fence;

http://tortoiseyard.com/images/Pred...link_dog_kennel_and_a_heavy_gage_wire_top.jpg

Also, likely the reason this tort goes straight for that strip is because it is the edge of the property and fences seem to trigger in a tort the need to be on the other side----funny thing is, I have had the torts here inside their yards and when they will occasionally try to test the fence I have placed them on the other side--and they then try to get through the fence again, however it is now trying to break back IN to their yard....something about the fence----lol

tortoise enclosure with aluminum siding.jpg

Just noticed that the pic I placed is not accessible....lets try this;

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If it is a good spot for the reasons Angela mentions (sun/shade, well drained, etc.), then it would work.
He does like that area because it is as far as he can go in your yard in that direction as Angela mentions, but that's OK. He would probably pace anywhere; they all do that, males most of all.
They like long enclosures. The width is OK, if it is that area that works.

I have part of my enclosure against chain link with sight barriers like the one Angela posted. My barriers are about 16 inches high, and I zip tied them to the chain link all along the base.