Soft shell

Judytort

So I had George the sulcata nearly 2 weeks now. And I've just noticed the his shell is soft, very soft on his belly and his top shell is only a little soft. No idea on his age but I'd guess a month or 2.
Been following Tom's care sheet like the bible.
Should I be worried ?

Attachments

• 20160727_135434.jpg
    20160727_135434.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20160727_135443.jpg
    20160727_135443.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

Judytort

Yes I have a combined bulb and take him out in the garden for some rays

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
My baby RFs plastrons had some give when they were tiny as well as the tail part of their carapaces. Our exotic vet told us to up the calcium supplement and be sure they get UVB. I did calcium without vit D 3 x wk for few wks, changed UVB bulb and started daily mandatory 1/2 hr exercise outside. They are hard as rocks now:)

Judytort

I was wondering if I should add some liquid calcium to the water when I give him baths?

Pearly

5 Year Member
I was wondering if I should add some liquid calcium to the water when I give him baths?
Now don't overdo it with calcium. Too much of it can be as bad or worse than not enough. If you have a way to give powder i e putting in in food that he is sure to eat this to me is much better way to supplement bcs you can control the quantity of intake much better. I was mixing mine in spoonful of their favorite pureed food which i knew they'd devour. They ate to the last little bite every time. Now one more thing, does your baby have a cuttle bone in his enclosure? My babies used to much on theirs all the time and now i haven't seen them do it in months, but as i said they feel like little heavy rocks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I have a combined bulb and take him out in the garden for some rays

What sort of bulb are you using? You mean a mercury vapor bulb that gives off heat, UV and light all in one, or do you mean one of those combo hoods with a coil bulb and spot bulb in the same hood?

Most importantly, what was the source of this baby and how was it started?

Judytort

It's a Mercury vapour bulb.

I bought him from a reptile show , not the best place to buy him from I know. He had a small bowl of shop bought greens in his tub and it was dry , so probably not the best start in life but I'm doing my best to change it all

Judytort

And there's me saying he doesn't touch his cuttle bone! Just witnessed him having a good chew on it and then have a nice drink

Attachments

• 20160727_161334.jpg
    20160727_161334.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20160727_161436.jpg
    20160727_161436.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I always have gone the route of getting them eating the calcium rich foods. Opuntia, and grape leaves which have really high calcium levels. I also introduced rep cal diet to them right away. They really seemed to take to it very soon. Small pellet size and bright colors and smell. Great vitamin / mineral balance in it with calcium and D3. Since I started doing that with all my new clutches over 20 years ago, never had a baby that didn't firm up extremely quickly. Never used cuttlebone until recently and never added supplements on the food

Judytort

He has nutribol and limestone flour on his food at different times of the week and I'm slowly introducing different weeds and grasses.
Will it harden up over time or am I just over worrying?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He has nutribol and limestone flour on his food at different times of the week and I'm slowly introducing different weeds and grasses.
Will it harden up over time or am I just over worrying?
Babies are soft when they hatch. They're all curled up in the egg and have to straighten out :)

With a small amount of calcium supplement maybe three times a week and good UVB from a tube lamp, MVB or the sun your tort should harden up just fine :)

The UVB helps your tort make Vitamin D which in turn helps your tort process dietary calcium which is why both are important :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
A real "soft shell" feels almost mushy. It has no surface tension. Spongy.

A babies shell will flex, especially on the plastron. It actually seems to move in and out when feeding, can feel softer when the tortoise has not eaten. But it won't be mushy, it will have surface tension. If you tap on it, it will be like thin flexible plastic. The middle will flex the most.

In general, if it is getting UVB and calcium supplements (or a good feeding of weeds from outside), you don't have a problem.

Judytort

I did notice that he has kinda like wrinkle looking marks on his shell ...don't know if you can make them out in the pic?

Attachments

• 20160727_165837.jpg
    20160727_165837.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Pearly

5 Year Member
I always have gone the route of getting them eating the calcium rich foods. Opuntia, and grape leaves which have really high calcium levels. I also introduced rep cal diet to them right away. They really seemed to take to it very soon. Small pellet size and bright colors and smell. Great vitamin / mineral balance in it with calcium and D3. Since I started doing that with all my new clutches over 20 years ago, never had a baby that didn't firm up extremely quickly. Never used cuttlebone until recently and never added supplements on the food
Yeap! I don't supplement other than those few weeks after their vet visit. I spend enough effort of putting together variety of foods that are both: good for them and enticing enough to be encouraged to eat by my picky eater. Cuttle bone is always there if they want it. I'd say for most keepers (normal people, not crazy about food like me!) tiny bit of calcium supplement couple times per week doesn't hurt. I also use commercial tort foods that in my view fill in the nutritional gaps. Those make about 20-25% of their morning meal. For dinner they usually get just fresh food. I think every way is a good way as long as we stick with their diet guidelines and keep good variety

Judytort

Thank you for all the reply :) Glad of found this forum, I'd be lost without it ! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
when they are born their shell is leather like. A diet rich in calcium and sunshine will harden it up in no time