Sick redfooted tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootedmama

5 Year Member
My baby girl seems sick. Her one eye isn't. Opening. I gave her a warm bath to help but nothing yet. She is eating normal. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When an eye won't open, it sometimes means the tortoise is being kept too dry. Can you describe your habitat conditions and lightling?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Need more information here. Tell us about your enclosure. Especially your humidity.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
I was just about to post the same thing. My baby redfoot seems to be having trouble opening his eyes. I tried to feed him and he went to hide, and after awhile, came back out with one eye opened, but one eye closed.

I usually keep the humidity pretty high except for one spot directly below the heat lamps which can get really hot, but its necesscary to warm the rest of the enclosure.

Ryuu2713 said:
I was just about to post the same thing. My baby redfoot seems to be having trouble opening his eyes. I tried to feed him and he went to hide, and after awhile, came back out with one eye opened, but one eye closed.

I usually keep the humidity pretty high except for one spot directly below the heat lamps which can get really hot, but its necesscary to warm the rest of the enclosure.

I gave him a bath and his eyes popped right open and he drank a bunch, haha. Maybe keep trying to bathe your tort?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just to run through some possibilities, in no particular order-
- Low humidity, although a good soak should have taken care of this.
- Sticky eye, again a soak should have loosened it up, but it may take a swipe with a Q-tip with warm water and a tiny dab of something like baby shampoo plain hand soap.
- Infection in the eye. Any signs of swelling, discharge, pus, discoloration, etc.? Many common infections and viruses can cause this sort of thing, including respiratory infections and herpesvirus.
- Injury to the eye. Similar questions as above.
- Diet issue. While vitamin A is usually blamed, it is not common in tortoises but an inadequate diet can cause a lot of issues, either as a primary cause or by weakening the animal for other infections.

redfootedmama

5 Year Member
I bought her a humidifier and I am going to try more long baths for a few days. Hope this helps. My in closure was very low humidity.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
That should help. Keep us updated. Daily warm soaks are recommended. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.