Sick tortoise?

Turbothetortoise

So my tortoise just woke up from hibernation. I took her out of her box and set her on the grass. She was a little groggy (no surprise there). We live in Southern California so it's quite warm out. When I checked on her I noticed her left eye had a milky white film almost protruding from it. Her right eye was completely fine. Do you know think she's sick? She's had a runny nose since we got her but the girl who gave her to us said there was nothing to do about that. The tortoise is about 10 or so. Attached is a picture of her eye

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
that looks like an infection of some type to me I suspect you're tortoise is very sick and should see a vet as soon as possible

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell from the picture, but that looks like a pus eye cap. Can you wipe it off? The tortoise should be seen by a qualified tortoise vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For future reference, for you and anyone else reading this thread, never allow a tortoise to hibernate when you see outward signs of illness. And a runny nose means illness, regardless what the previous owner told you. It might be a respiratory infection or it could also mean the tortoise has micoplasma. At any rate, those symptoms need to be cleared up prior to hibernation.