Shout out for Tom

dds7155

5 Year Member
Tom,,saw your commercial today, first time I've seen it except on the Forum, it's the one for Purina, hope you get paid every time they show it, have you seen the Drew Brees commercial where he's throwing the football and it's like they are exploding, when the commercial starts my late friend has about 10 sec. of one of his songs playing in the background , his wife gets paid every time they play it ,, anyways ,,we a German shepherd family but i'm really getting into your dog breed ,, im blank on the name but read so many good stuff, anyways a shout out to you!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Woo Hoo!

No. I don't get paid for that one. We just get our days wages and dog rental on days like that. I only get residuals when I'm on camera for stunts, which isn't very often.

I love that spot. My dog will forever be recorded and immortalized there, no matter what happens from this point forward.

The breed is Malinois. One of the four types of Belgian Shepard. Also likely one of the foundation members for the German Shepard. The Malinois breed is over 1000 years old. The GSD was created by Max Von Stephanitz around 1890. Early pics of the GSD look an awful lot like the current Mal. They are now, however, VERY different breeds. Mals are really not suitable for pets and GSDs usually are. Mals are very high drive working dogs. They need a real job. Trying to make them a backyard or household pet is usually disastrous. They take A LOT of work to raise them right, but man do they work in return!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I don't think I've seen this commercial (unless Tom linked to it before?). Do you have the YouTube link?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've kept an eye out on the TV for Tom's commercials, but I haven't seen any yet. Just the one he posted online. But not while watching TV. :(

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Hey Tom do you think this dog could be a malinois mix? One of my fosters.ImageUploadedByTortForum1391005533.578651.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391005556.319145.jpg

I know likely shepherd but such long legs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Linz2491 said:
Hey Tom do you think this dog could be a malinois mix? One of my fosters.

I know likely shepherd but such long legs!

Yeah. It looks more GSD to me than mal.

ascott said:
Tom, you train dogs??????:p;):D:p:p:p

Yeah. A few I guess. :p

Pokeymeg said:
I don't think I've seen this commercial (unless Tom linked to it before?). Do you have the YouTube link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jCnHe3tkU

Here it is. I highly recommend you crank the volume all the way up too.

Here is the other one. Just a very small part in this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArS09q-YZVc
"Meetings start at 11, Cindy..."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I see that commercial a lot now. The only criticism I have is when the dog is dreaming his legs need to move faster. Love the big stick he retrieves, though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Every commercial I see, if there is a dog or other animal in it, I always watch closer to se if it's Toms, or wonder if it's one of the other dogs or animals he may have trained.
Tom, you should post a pic or vid of how mean looking you can get Seven to look. Then show how sweet he really looks. Impressive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
Yeah, I see that commercial a lot now. The only criticism I have is when the dog is dreaming his legs need to move faster. Love the big stick he retrieves, though.

He was actually only shown (auditioned) to be a back up for his mother Sophie who actually has a trained retrieve. Seven, the dog who actually did the commercial, was picked as the hero by mistake and he did not have a trained retrieve. The title of this spot was "Fetch". I only had a few days to get him to carry that giant stick. It was only my relationship with the dog that allowed me to get it done. The little stick toy in the house that he grabs and carries out was never even mentioned until just a moment before they rolled camera on it. I never had a chance to even think about it, much less rehearse it. I just told him to do it and it was just dumb luck that he actually wanted to do it. That was a fun job, but nerve wracking at the same time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait...Seven is RETIRED and yet he was a back up for HIS MOTHER, SOPHIE? Son = retired, Mother still working?

I love the picture you posted way long time ago where your daughter is sitting on the tail gate of the truck and the dog, next to her, is snarling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
Every commercial I see, if there is a dog or other animal in it, I always watch closer to se if it's Toms, or wonder if it's one of the other dogs or animals he may have trained.
Tom, you should post a pic or vid of how mean looking you can get Seven to look. Then show how sweet he really looks. Impressive.

Here we are in Chicago in one of his first trained snarl sessions. He does this on cue now. Hope the pic is right side up this time.
2qvfdj4.jpg

Yvonne G said:
Wait...Seven is RETIRED and yet he was a back up for HIS MOTHER, SOPHIE? Son = retired, Mother still working?

I love the picture you posted way long time ago where your daughter is sitting on the tail gate of the truck and the dog, next to her, is snarling.

Bullet is the old retired man. He is the one I worked for you at your house and the one from "D'Jango Unchained" and 400 other projects over the last 12 years. He'll be 13 in October.

Sophie is my now 5 year old female.

Seven is the son of Bullet and Sophie and is now 2.5 years old

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I love it. My shepherd mix mutt does that when she plays. She always has, from the time she was an 8 week old pup. She is as gentle as they come, but looks mean when playing because of it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom:

I used to snicker at the old black and white movies with wolves (GSD's) and in the close-ups you could see the rubber band around the muzzle to make it look like the "wolf" was snarling. We've come a long way, huh? Imagine, a dog that snarls on command.

I guess I was so confused!! As soon as I read "Bullet" I remembered.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yvonne, there sure isn't no rubber band on Seven. When my hub and I first met Tom, he had Seven with him. After saying hello and introducing ourselves, he gave a command to Seven and that's what Seven did, very impressive. Out of command, he is very sweet and not scary at all. Good thing Tom is a nice guy. He has a heck of a first impression with Seven at his side:p :D