Should Shells get any TLC?

muu

Hi Folks,
I was wondering, Is there anything I should be using as a mosturiser on my wee RF's shell. I feed Nutrobal on his breakfasts and he has Mazuri 4 times a week. But I have read some people using the likes of coconut oil on there shells. Can anyone tell me if this is something I should be doing. I assume it would waterproof the shell and is that a good or a bad thing? Thanks everyone for your input.

Muu

Telid

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TX
I could not say, but I am interested in seeing what everyone else replies with!

yillt

Hi. Sorry this sounds really silly but I have been wondering for a while. what does rf stand for? I probably should know but as I don't I thought I would ask someone who does.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi. Sorry this sounds really silly but I have been wondering for a while. what does rf stand for? I probably should know but as I don't I thought I would ask someone who does.

RF is Redfoot
RT is Russian Tortoise

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I asked the same question months back & the general opinion on this is pretty mixed. What I took away from it was: If conditions are right in your torts habitat, then they do not need it, it really is just cosmetic. If you do decide to do it you will want to wipe off all the excess with a soft cloth. It should not be a thick coat of grease. It prevents the shell from "breathing"

At least that is how I took it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Muu, this is a subject of some debate. Some people like to use a shell moisturizer and they claim it helps and they are happy with the results. Other people feel it is un-natural and unnecessary. A few have tried to claim it can be harmful, but we have yet to see one scrap of evidence to support that claim.

In short, the answer you get to this question will depend on who you ask.

muu

Thank you. I do feel that it shouldn't be needed if I'm feeding correctly and have the right habitat. But I'm always trying to make sure he is looked after to my full abilities, and so wondered if this is something I should be doing. It'll be interesting to see what other answers come along.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is purely for YOUR benefit. Tortoises don't need topicals. Look how many eons they have survived without it. However, if you do want to shine up the shell to make him look pretty, be sure to polish off any excess. You don't want dirt to stick to the shell and cause overheating.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif