Applying oils on shells and body

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Gentlemen,

This topic has been addressed extensively on other threads, with much passion and (virtual) ink spilt on both sides. A brief search will get you ample reading for a week. If I may sum; the oil contingent considers it a potential benefit with no demonstrated risks. The contrarians counter with pictures of healthy torts raised without it (so not needed) and suggest any risk is too great for something unnecessary.
I comment for two reasons; first, neither of the arguments (in this thread anyway) are valid. As mentioned, something being 'unnatural' is not the same as being problematic. On the other side, someone 'not feeling' something is a problem ' is not informative.
Second (and this is most important), somehow the 'wet method ' was brought up as a similar controversy and cause of respiratory infection. This is completely incorrect and a false equivalency. I've raised enough to know this but plenty others can speak to this with more authority.
Finally, as to the passion folks bring to this, and other discussions, I suspect it follows from the vast amounts of bad advice that have been overcome. No one wants anymore to take root.
Whew! Maybe I need to find a drink and relax.

Cheers!

I simply brought up wet method as a newer method, which many people believed would be risky. Not that it actually caused respiratory infections. Simply that before it was done, people did (and still do) argue it's risky.

Love your post though!
(Also a lady, but not offended by being called gentleman. )

Loritort

I'm not on here to kiss someone's behind. I am a female and very proud to be strong and resilient. Arrogance is appalling:)

SteveW

My sincere and total apologies for using gendered language. Embarrassingly, I took the time to look for profiles and apparently found the wrong ones. Nevertheless, I misspoke and I'm sorry.
However appalling arrogance may be though, it is not arrogant for me to disagree with your conclusions or the route you took to get there. It was not my intention to question your level of interest (or gender, but enough said) but to disagree with your argument. In my view, its one of those "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' kind of things. I don't think anyone has suggested acute toxicity, but even the most devout 'oiler' (Glitch, I think) found evidence of slow and incremental problems with the use.
And with that said, I shall now extricate myself as the avowed non-expert that I am and redirect you, should you be interested, to other threads that have already covered this ground.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Loritort

This isn't about disagreeing with me. Everyone has a right to their own ideas. I've clearly stated my point and no one is able to prove the oiling is harmful, unnecessary or cause shell rot. Drink up and please enjoy the rest of your night:)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
passion? i thought this was not about personal opinions but about what is needed and NOT when it comes to tortoise care, if your tortoise is that dry it needs oil - there is something wrong there, attacking those that refuse to oil their animals is completely unnecessary

Loritort

Still wanna keep going? I am perfectly capable of deciding what I can read.

Loritort

I'm not attacking anyone. No one was able to prove that oil is harmful/ unnecessary. Please move on.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
A much better thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Coconut-Oil.103782/

A little ashamed at the level of dialogue that we participated in. This stuff is so much more complex and interesting. Required reading for everybody on this thread!
Yes, the thread you've linked here is the one I read when I first joined the Forum 2 yrs (and some..) ago. I think that "to oil, or not to oil" is a personal choice, and we as keepers/pet owners in the end do what works for us and out pets. I personally DO use EV coconut oil on my RFs, but they are still very young (2 yrs &2 months) so I still keep them indoors at night and bathe them (almost daily!) in my guest bathroom tub. I've been doing this since they were tiny 2" hatchlings. Amongst the benefits is the ease of interacting with them (they are completely tame and seem to enjoy being handled), they have NEVER had any problems with shell rot despite being kept in 90 and over 90% humid closed system. Their skin and scales to head, limbs and tail are in perfect condition, and... they look pretty. I completely understand and respect the argument "let them be tortoises and get dirty" and I respect that as well. And I will likely join that "no oil crowd" once my babies are fully grown and living in my Tortoise Garden full time. They will be too big for me to drag them upstairs to that guest bathtub. The mess from a 13" tort is likely a lot bigger then from little youngsters. Plus handling little poop, netting it out of the tub (I know! gross!!!!) is likely not as bad as trying to remove a small "pyramid" in order to preserve the house plumbing. Once mine are bigger and living full time outside I think their wading pools and water hose will be utilized most as their bathing tools, and maybe once a year coco oil rubdown to shine those shells on their hatch day, so I can post pretty pics here:) All that said, I'm am all for rubbing them down with some coco oil while examining their body under good light, while excess is wiped off with soft absorbent cloth and care is taken not to let any of the oil into their eyes but my way, is NOT the only way. This is just what I DO and I like it this way. My torts seem to enjoy it and I assume there are no any untoward effects judging by how active and strong my torts are and how good their appetite and growth rate are. Again, that's just me. No scientific data here, just common sense and observation with my naked eye plus info gathered from this Forum.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I don't want you people to argue on this ... I just wanted to know that it is good for my tort or not...I have got the info I needed...request you all to please be polite and respectful to all
Couldn't agree more! Let's keep this Forum a friendly and non confrontational place that it's been. Of course there is nothing better than a good argument in a healthy discourse, but let's try to keep emotions out of it and be respectful of the opinions of other people.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neither my tortie nor I are "squeaky clean". That's a ridiculous statement! He lives inside but I take him out everyday to enjoy the sun.
The indoor arrangement will change once the weather cools down. I'm under no obligation to explain or justify ANYTHING to you. The coconut oil is safe to use on his shell. It is my choice to do so and poses no health risks.

You need to read the thread made by glitch. He/she has done extensive research and has come to some remarkable conclusions. At first he was very pro coconut oil, but after his study went on for a while, he has changed his tune. Very good reading here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/coconut-oil.103782/page-27

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm not attacking anyone. No one was able to prove that oil is harmful/ unnecessary. Please move on.

Kind of what the link is about...

It's not so simple by the way. OP of that thread hasn't come to any conclusion yet, but frequency of application and age when applied are discussed. OP is very open about failures and success. You should read this if you're interested in this stuff.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, the thread you've linked here is the one I read when I first joined the Forum 2 yrs (and some..) ago. I think that "to oil, or not to oil" is a personal choice, and we as keepers/pet owners in the end do what works for us and out pets. I personally DO use EV coconut oil on my RFs, but they are still very young (2 yrs &2 months) so I still keep them indoors at night and bathe them (almost daily!) in my guest bathroom tub. I've been doing this since they were tiny 2" hatchlings. Amongst the benefits is the ease of interacting with them (they are completely tame and seem to enjoy being handled), they have NEVER had any problems with shell rot despite being kept in 90 and over 90% humid closed system. Their skin and scales to head, limbs and tail are in perfect condition, and... they look pretty. I completely understand and respect the argument "let them be tortoises and get dirty" and I respect that as well. And I will likely join that "no oil crowd" once my babies are fully grown and living in my Tortoise Garden full time. They will be too big for me to drag them upstairs to that guest bathtub. The mess from a 13" tort is likely a lot bigger then from little youngsters. Plus handling little poop, netting it out of the tub (I know! gross!!!!) is likely not as bad as trying to remove a small "pyramid" in order to preserve the house plumbing. Once mine are bigger and living full time outside I think their wading pools and water hose will be utilized most as their bathing tools, and maybe once a year coco oil rubdown to shine those shells on their hatch day, so I can post pretty pics here:) All that said, I'm am all for rubbing them down with some coco oil while examining their body under good light, while excess is wiped off with soft absorbent cloth and care is taken not to let any of the oil into their eyes but my way, is NOT the only way. This is just what I DO and I like it this way. My torts seem to enjoy it and I assume there are no any untoward effects judging by how active and strong my torts are and how good their appetite and growth rate are. Again, that's just me. No scientific data here, just common sense and observation with my naked eye plus info gathered from this Forum.

Have you read the most recent postings? Like the last two pages?

OP has had some really interesting successes, failures and new info. Some is hypothesis, but really interesting none the less. OP and mark go back and forth and dialogue is getting better and better.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Have you read the most recent postings? Like the last two pages?

OP has had some really interesting successes, failures and new info. Some is hypothesis, but really interesting none the less. OP and mark go back and forth and dialogue is getting better and better.
Yes, just did after posting. I love that thread. I love reading about all the science behind tort keeping and try to not miss Mark's posts as he always puts lots of interesting info, and great pictures. You have some nice visuals too btw. There are so many interesting discussions on this Forum, posts by some brilliant minds who unselfishly share their know-how with all of us. That is why I love this forum so much.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I generally see no reason to oil turtles, but my wonky friend Felter:

Felter.shell.8.22.17.jpg

Gets that dry look. He didn't have it when i got him in Spring of 2016, but i think the frequent long soaks outside in the sun does this.
Under the same conditions, my little Rorg, same species (3-toe) does not get a dry-looking shell.
Probably the water more than the sun; note how the very top does not seem so dried out.

Even so i only have oiled Felter 2-3 times, with a few drops of black cumin seed oil. Not in recent months, though. I presume to problem is purely cosmetic...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I generally see no reason to oil turtles, but my wonky friend Felter:

View attachment 216196

Gets that dry look. He didn't have it when i got him in Spring of 2016, but i think the frequent long soaks outside in the sun does this.
Under the same conditions, my little Rorg, same species (3-toe) does not get a dry-looking shell.
Probably the water more than the sun; note how the very top does not seem so dried out.

Even so i only have oiled Felter 2-3 times, with a few drops of black cumin seed oil. Not in recent months, though. I presume to problem is purely cosmetic...
That could be mineral deposits from the water. Harmless.