Applying oils on shells and body

Loritort

Location (City and/or State)
I'm not staunchly on either side, or an expert but I figured I'd add:

Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. If it isn't caked on, it could theoretically provide a slight advantage in avoiding fungal or bacterial infection.

Iirc, Tortoises do not absorb uvb through the shell. Only the skin. Application of coconut oil to the shell should not hinder uvb absorption. Occasional application to the skin should not have much impact either, given the uvb exposure needs of tortoises amount to about 3/4 hours of sunshine a week.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know if there's any benefit, however I can't really imagine there is any real concerns either.

Please don't get angry at me! Just another voice chiming in!
Hehe, definitely not angry! I agree with what you wrote. Thank you.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
How often? Never.

A layer of oil, creams or other coatings may inhibit the absorption of UVB for a tortoise. As well as dirt and debris being able to readily cling to the shell, particularly the areas within the scute seams, this can promote bacteria and fungal growth. This can lead to health problems for a tortoise.

There is no practical or beneficial reason to apply oils or anything else but water to a tortoise's shell.
agree, animals are known to get shell rot from it as well as infections, they are only oiled for sale to show the colors:)

Loritort

So shell rot can occur from using organic coconut oil on the torties shell every so often?
Just curious, is this your opinion or is it a fact? If it is a fact then please provide proof as I find it hard to believe. Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I use it for my tortie and it works well. The shell appears on the dry side at times and the coconut oil gives it a nice glow. Since it isn't harmful to the tortoise,why is this so concerning to people?
Because it MAYBE harmful to the tort at a later date . Cause at this time there is nothing that says it's good for a torts health ! It's like when a child says let's paint a turtles shell , but use water base paint ! Why not just don't paint it !

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
He didn't say it was harmful. He said it can pose health concerns. Tortoise shells don't need "moisturizing" if habitats are set up properly. Not worth risking the health of the tortoise.
perfectly put, when the housing is right - the skin looks perfect, a few poor souls i rescued were all lamp fried, without any moisturizing the skin quickly renews itself as they bask as needed and hide as wanted, old one flakes off and the new one is smooth and silky, no need for oil:) ever! if the skin is dry perhaps you should look into why that is instead of oiling it up, of course it will show immediate improvement, but will not fix the cause, perhaps your tort is lacking in vitamins and proteins and is getting too much lamp basking instead of actual sun...

Loritort

You can't live life on maybes. There is absolutely NO scientific evidence that organic coconut oil causes shell rot or any harm to tortoises. This is getting very old and tired. Thanks and have a great night!

Loritort

perfectly put, when the housing is right - the skin looks perfect, a few poor souls i rescued were all lamp fried, without any moisturizing the skin quickly renews itself as they bask as needed and hide as wanted, old one flakes off and the new one is smooth and silky, no need for oil:) ever! if the skin is dry perhaps you should look into why that is instead of oiling it up, of course it will show immediate improvement, but will not fix the cause, perhaps your tort is lacking in vitamins and proteins and is getting too much lamp basking instead of actual sun...
My tortie is very healthy and well cared for. He doesn't lack for anything. I will continue to use coconut oil on his shell as it cannot be proven to be harmful. Thanks!

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
Glad you're done! It isn't worth continuing this discussion over using coconut oil on a shell. Doom and gloom and worst case scenarios are unnecessary! Have a great night Kevin:)
remember, other do not have the same set up as yours. it sounds like your tort is squeaky clean:) more power to you, we are just trying to establish the fact that it is not something someone should up and go suddenly do! mine live outdoors, if i were to oil them up and let them out it would be like getting them permanently wet, which with the slightest wind will get them respiratory infection pretty quick. in your super windless aquarium i assume sure, he can chill on his rock and bath in his sauna. if someone just up and oiled their pets and sent them outdoors for a walk - it will interfere with the way the body temperature regulates by giving it a wrong reading. and as you know the temperature and well being with torts is everything. this is something some people choose to do under certain circumstances but it is not something that NEEDS to be done ever, for there there is no need for it other than fun and interaction with your beloved pet. by all means oil him up, have a good time, i talk and pet my turts and torts, pick them up, hold them, so i get it:) enjoy, YOU are not doing anything wrong:)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I use it for my tortie and it works well. The shell appears on the dry side at times and the coconut oil gives it a nice glow. Since it isn't harmful to the tortoise,why is this so concerning to people?
you need to find out what causes dryness, lamp exposure, vitamin A deficiency, etc.? what breed do you have? :)

Loritort

Neither my tortie nor I are "squeaky clean". That's a ridiculous statement! He lives inside but I take him out everyday to enjoy the sun.
The indoor arrangement will change once the weather cools down. I'm under no obligation to explain or justify ANYTHING to you. The coconut oil is safe to use on his shell. It is my choice to do so and poses no health risks.

Loritort

Again, maybe doesn't cut it! None of you have proven your case!

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
You can't live life on maybes. There is absolutely NO scientific evidence that organic coconut oil causes shell rot or any harm to tortoises. This is getting very old and tired. Thanks and have a great night!
shell rot is caused by excessive moisture, i hope you will agree with that. oil hinders tortoise's ability to regulate both body temperature and moisture levels, so LOGICALLY ALONE that implies the POTENTIAL danger of shell rot. if this does not sink in - nothing will. as for your right to oil your tortoise, no one is telling you to stop, seriously, do what you will, just stop advertising it is all we are asking :)

Loritort

I didn't start this thread nor did I instruct anyone to oil or not oil their tortie. There is absolutely no proof that coconut oil causes any harm to the shell. Speculate all you want but without proof you have NO CASE!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
remember, other do not have the same set up as yours. it sounds like your tort is squeaky clean:) more power to you, we are just trying to establish the fact that it is not something someone should up and go suddenly do! mine live outdoors, if i were to oil them up and let them out it would be like getting them permanently wet, which with the slightest wind will get them respiratory infection pretty quick. in your super windless aquarium i assume sure, he can chill on his rock and bath in his sauna. if someone just up and oiled their pets and sent them outdoors for a walk - it will interfere with the way the body temperature regulates by giving it a wrong reading. and as you know the temperature and well being with torts is everything. this is something some people choose to do under certain circumstances but it is not something that NEEDS to be done ever, for there there is no need for it other than fun and interaction with your beloved pet. by all means oil him up, have a good time, i talk and pet my turts and torts, pick them up, hold them, so i get it:) enjoy, YOU are not doing anything wrong:)

It's easily absorbed so it would not be anything like being wet. I doubt it would pose a risk. I'm also not sure about not knowing long term effects. It's a simple, food grade substance with slight antibacterial and antifungal properties. It's frequently used in many species of animals, including mammals and birds, to treat certain skin and other conditions.

I don't think it's something people need to do or anything, but I don't understand completely why people are so against it? It's so unlikely it would be linked to respiratory infections, fungal infections, uvb insufficiency or any of the things mentioned.

Whenever humans keep animals in captivity, we never fully replicate wild conditions. In fact it would be a poor decision to attempt that.The wild is not perfect, it's just the conditions an animal had evolved to survive in. That does not mean it can't be improved on in order to get better results! In the home we aren't nature, ensuring a hungry raven is able to get a meal of weak tortoise so it's species can survive. Nature requires sick, slow, dying tortoises! Keepers don't. So maybe a tiny amount of coconut oil used on a tortoise provides some minor advantages. Perhaps it doesn't. But I think the risk is so inconceivably small that people shouldn't be afraid of trying something new (which could provide benefits) if they want to, and let the results speak for itself.

On this site many people believe in a very wet method of raising torts. Certainly that held a very real risk of respiratory infection, much greater than any potential risk of using coconut oil- and yet here we are with a new method showing promising results.

But I don't think people need to be fighting so hard over it. If you believe it isn't good, don't do it. If you believe it is good, do it, document it and let your results speak for themselves.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We have new people joining everyday . They don't need any more Misinformation about torts ! They look for facts . And as far as :
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503358745.505610.jpg
This does happen in nature most torts are hatched in the rainy season and hide in the brush where the the moisture levels are high !

Loritort

We have new people joining everyday . They don't need any more Misinformation about torts ! They look for facts . And as far as :
[ATTACHMENT=full]216171[/ATTACHMENTTACHMENT ]
This does happen in nature most torts are hatched in the rainy season and hide in the brush where the the moisture levels are high !
I'm unable to read what you posted. Where can this be found?

SteveW

Gentlemen,

This topic has been addressed extensively on other threads, with much passion and (virtual) ink spilt on both sides. A brief search will get you ample reading for a week. If I may sum; the oil contingent considers it a potential benefit with no demonstrated risks. The contrarians counter with pictures of healthy torts raised without it (so not needed) and suggest any risk is too great for something unnecessary.
I comment for two reasons; first, neither of the arguments (in this thread anyway) are valid. As mentioned, something being 'unnatural' is not the same as being problematic. On the other side, someone 'not feeling' something is a problem ' is not informative.
Second (and this is most important), somehow the 'wet method ' was brought up as a similar controversy and cause of respiratory infection. This is completely incorrect and a false equivalency. I've raised enough to know this but plenty others can speak to this with more authority.
Finally, as to the passion folks bring to this, and other discussions, I suspect it follows from the vast amounts of bad advice that have been overcome. No one wants anymore to take root.
Whew! Maybe I need to find a drink and relax.

Cheers!

Loritort

Gentlemen,

This topic has been addressed extensively on other threads, with much passion and (virtual) ink spilt on both sides. A brief search will get you ample reading for a week. If I may sum; the oil contingent considers it a potential benefit with no demonstrated risks. The contrarians counter with pictures of healthy torts raised without it (so not needed) and suggest any risk is too great for something unnecessary.
I comment for two reasons; first, neither of the arguments (in this thread anyway) are valid. As mentioned, something being 'unnatural' is not the same as being problematic. On the other side, someone 'not feeling' something is a problem ' is not informative.
Second (and this is most important), somehow the 'wet method ' was brought up as a similar controversy and cause of respiratory infection. This is completely incorrect and a false equivalency. I've raised enough to know this but plenty others can speak to this with more authority.
Finally, as to the passion folks bring to this, and other discussions, I suspect it follows from the vast amounts of bad advice that have been overcome. No one wants anymore to take root.
Whew! Maybe I need to find a drink and relax.

Cheers!
Perhaps you missed the fact that men are not the only ones commenting on this subject. I am a female with more passion and fire than you'll ever know. My argument is valid and well stated. I am not here to persuade anyone to oil or not oil. I have simply pointed out that people are unable to prove that it is harmful to the tortoise. Drink up! Enjoy your night!!