Should I (craigslist)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Can't say for sure why I look at Craigslist... but spotted this ad:
'I have a wonderful tortoise that needs a new home. Panzer is a little smaller than a desert plate. Beautiful male. I've attached a picture that is very similar. He loves kale and carrots along with red bell peppers and strawberries as an occasional treat.

We got him about 3 months ago, and have been socializing him with older kids and small dogs. He does pretty well, but you'll want a towel under him just in case.'

I have emailed a few questions first (like a pic), but location is 10" away.
Kind of scary, poor guy. Socializing? Ummmm...

Would have to quarantine/check fecal/etc, but hope to have a small crew eventually, and I like the idea of rescuing them.
Family already thinks I am insane...
Lynne

M

Maggie Cummings

lynnedit said:
'I have a wonderful tortoise that needs a new home. Panzer is a little smaller than a desert plate. Beautiful male. I've attached a picture that is very similar. He loves kale and carrots along with red bell peppers and strawberries as an occasional treat.

We got him about 3 months ago, and have been socializing him with older kids and small dogs. He does pretty well, but you'll want a towel under him just in case.'

Would have to quarantine/check fecal/etc, but hope to have a small crew eventually, and I like the idea of rescuing them.
Lynne

My family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for about 40 years and my sister runs a rescue in Calif. I am a smaller operation in Corvallis but we never pay money for one and we never scan the ads looking for any. People bring them to us. I just got 5 box turtles from a woman in Portland.
I suppose there isn't any difference to most people, but to me, if you pay money for one that means you bought one. Also you need to be able to give injections and triage, diagnosing and treating, trying to keep from spending money on a Vet. I think there is a lot more to "rescue" then just buying one. I'm probably just splitting hairs in most peoples minds. And I don't mean to be disrespectful to you Lynne, so please try to understand what I am saying.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
maggie3fan said:
lynnedit said:

Lynne

My family has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for about 40 years and my sister runs a rescue in Calif. I am a smaller operation in Corvallis but we never pay money for one and we never scan the ads looking for any. People bring them to us. I just got 5 box turtles from a woman in Portland.
I suppose there isn't any difference to most people, but to me, if you pay money for one that means you bought one. Also you need to be able to give injections and triage, diagnosing and treating, trying to keep from spending money on a Vet. I think there is a lot more to "rescue" then just buying one. I'm probably just splitting hairs in most peoples minds. And I don't mean to be disrespectful to you Lynne, so please try to understand what I am saying.

Not disrespectful at all! All of what you say is true. If the tort is active and eating with a good weight and clear eyes, it is a better bet than one that is weak and ill, of course. I will sure keep your advice in mind.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
seems to me you have to start somewhere....i suppose we all do not become experts instantly...we must build 10,20,30 or even 40 years worth of trial, error and success to feel as though we have been blessed with the ability to offer help and not discouragement....good luck to you and if your heart is in learning and loving and caring for turtles, tortoises or what ever other of earths creatures....enjoy the journey :}

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, perhaps 'rescue' is too strong a word. I should have chosen 'adopt'.
Since my 2 females were wild caught, I have been told I should probably avoid CB torts as they may not have the same immunity, etc.
That leaves me with WC/older tort as an option, but obviously not from a pet store!
Thus, a private party is really my only option, if WC and apparently healthy.
I do have the room for a large outdoor enclosure soon.
Ongoing process, will take it slowly!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
lynnedit said:
I do have the room for a large outdoor enclosure soon.
Ongoing process, will take it slowly!

I can't wait to see that! I'm still waiting on photos from the first one you did!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
If it is in your area...you could check out the tort before you bought it. There is a similar listing on Craigslist in Austin, TX for a Russian Tort. Although your listing has better spelling and sentence structure, the info is just about the same.

I thought about emailing and see what kind of response I got back. Just want to see if it is a scam.

I have a new Cherry Head coming next week!! and I can't wait.

Listing from Austin Craigs list:

Russian Tortoise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-05-24, 7:20PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have very social cute ,tortoise,she love be with kids & peples, I bought her from petssmart about 8 mouths ago , but my son doeen"t have time to play or care for her, so ,I'm looking how love animal ....it is very esay to care,,she is very funy& lovely
..I'm ask $75 for change home

M

Maggie Cummings

Lynne, I apologize if you have taken my words in any way other than how I meant them. I think in these days and times so many people say they "rescued" a turtle when actually all they did was adopt or buy one from a bad environment. In saying they "rescued" that turtle or that they were" rescuers" takes away from the years of hard work and education and basically the blood sweat and tears of those who actually are a "rescue" and because I am not choosing the correct way to say what I mean I am being taken wrong an now it's going to become a debate. I don't mean any disrespect to you and I hope you can become a real "turtle and tortoise rescue". First take some classes in triage, injections, and in those different disease and injuries. Learn how to care for those injured turtles. Take first aid classes and whatever other classes you think would help you, help the injured turtle. Study and learn the different species of turtles and tortoises. Then get all your home set up with whatever enclosures you are going to use. Then put up notices at your Vet and the local pet stores and the chain pet stores announcing that you will take in any injured or abandoned turtles or tortoises. Do everything that you can think of to learn how to be a real "rescue". Don't forget to put up a notice at the local SPCA.
I guess what I am trying to say is for you to learn everything you can learn to be a real "turtle and tortoise rescue". Being a "rescue" is not as easy as it sounds. I am willing to help you in any way I can...

And I disagree with saying you can't ever have any captive bred tortoises. You can have any kind you want, they just need a 4 to 6 month quarantine and a fecal test for parasites. I really don't see why you can't have any captive bred just like anyone else. Always do a quarantine first. That's the important thing to do.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
maggie3fan said:
Lynne, I apologize if you have taken my words in any way other than how I meant them. I think in these days and times so many people say they "rescued" a turtle when actually all they did was adopt or buy one from a bad environment. In saying they "rescued" that turtle or that they were" rescuers" takes away from the years of hard work and education and basically the blood sweat and tears of those who actually are a "rescue" and because I am not choosing the correct way to say what I mean I am being taken wrong an now it's going to become a debate. I don't mean any disrespect to you and I hope you can become a real "turtle and tortoise rescue". First take some classes in triage, injections, and in those different disease and injuries. Learn how to care for those injured turtles. Take first aid classes and whatever other classes you think would help you, help the injured turtle. Study and learn the different species of turtles and tortoises. Then get all your home set up with whatever enclosures you are going to use. Then put up notices at your Vet and the local pet stores and the chain pet stores announcing that you will take in any injured or abandoned turtles or tortoises. Do everything that you can think of to learn how to be a real "rescue". Don't forget to put up a notice at the local SPCA.
I guess what I am trying to say is for you to learn everything you can learn to be a real "turtle and tortoise rescue". Being a "rescue" is not as easy as it sounds. I am willing to help you in any way I can...

And I disagree with saying you can't ever have any captive bred tortoises. You can have any kind you want, they just need a 4 to 6 month quarantine and a fecal test for parasites. I really don't see why you can't have any captive bred just like anyone else. Always do a quarantine first. That's the important thing to do.

Seriously, I found your suggestions very helpful, and I understand what you were saying. Taking any new creature in, including those who are long lived, is a very big decision. I did think about the SPCA. PLease keep the comments coming!
And glad to hear your input on WC/CB as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.