Poor Craigslist Baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Area, Texas
So I was cruising craigslist and found a small sulcata for sale. Poor little thing. I was actually a little sick to my stomach when I saw the conditions it lived in. I emailed the guy right away, and told him I didn't want the set-up, but I would be more than happy to take the baby. Of course he's insisting that he purchased the baby for $150. My pocketbook can only handle $75. I told him that if I had $150 to save that baby from him, I would. Waiting for a call back, to see if he's willing to let me take the poor guy to a vet.

Attachments

• 3ne3m73lf5Y65Z05R6b877cc3cc44deb91da0.jpg
    3ne3m73lf5Y65Z05R6b877cc3cc44deb91da0.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 3pd3oa3l45O15V45X0b879f94a25dde3f129e.jpg
    3pd3oa3l45O15V45X0b879f94a25dde3f129e.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 200

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I doubt he paid 150 for a baby sulcata.

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
dmmj said:
I doubt he paid 150 for a baby sulcata.

That's exactly what I told him. I also let him know that I would need to take it to a vet ASAP, and quarantine it from my baby until it had a clean bill of health, and like I said, get it away from him, or whoever might purchase it and think that set-up is fine.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I know how you feel:( It makes me sick too when I see things like this. Just sad. Good Luck!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I've seen hatchlings going for as low as $30 om kingsnake. Let him keep that one and find one elsewhere that you won't have to pay hundreds in vet bills for.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
I've seen hatchlings going for as low as $30 om kingsnake. Let him keep that one and find one elsewhere that you won't have to pay hundreds in vet bills for.
I agree unless he drastically drops the price I would probably pass on this one, sadly you can't save them all, and it could run you hundreds in possible vet bills.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I wish I could walk into petsmart and petcos and save all of the russians myself.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Some people make me soooo sick!!! No wonder I would rather just spend the day at home with my wife and Cooper laying between us watching tv on the weekends! Not downing you fine folks on here, believe me! Just the 80% or so of the dumb people out there! Blah!!! I'm going to give my boy a good soak now and relax before bed, have a good night everybody! :)

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
dmmj said:
I wish I could walk into petsmart and petcos and save all of the russians myself.

I feel you about the russians at petsmart! My husband and I were there the other day, and saw an adult in a TEN GALLON tank. Yeesh.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I wish some of these owners were more interested in finding a great home for their tortoise that they haven't given the best of care from than trying to get their money back.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Poor little thing:( That is great that you want to rescue him.

RuthieHurry said:
I guess sometimes you just WISH you could save them all.

That is exactly how I feel about any homeless/mistreated animal.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
there is no emoticon for the anger I feel

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
So, an update. I talked to his girlfriend, and she is pushing him to give the baby up to a good home, now that they know how they should be taken care of. My husband and I have prayed and put our trust in God to do what's best for this baby. "dmmj" we feel your pain, because for every hour we don't hear something, we're just stressed that much more. We are told that this is the way the pet store told them to take care of this baby (go figure). Our concern is that someone sees this baby and the set-up and grabs him up and continues this horrible treatment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lots of pet stores are still selling them for $150. We here on the forum, just know better.

Sadly, most pet stores, and far too many breeders, really don't know how to properly care for them...
I'm working on it, every chance I get.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
This is exactly how i found my two new babies, Tonka and Crush. They didn't have a water bowl, no humidity, sand substrate. It was so sad I had to just pick them up. People drive me crazy sometimes!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Tom said:
Lots of pet stores are still selling them for $150. We here on the forum, just know better.

The closest Petsupermarket near me keeps 2 "in stock" and they go for $115 each. The waterbowl has sand in the bottom of it from the babies dragging in the sand and the lettuce has sand ALL over it. Each bite they take is a mouthfull of sand with crappy lettuce :( Oh, and they dont have heat lamps on them!!!

Ok, tort rage over now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.