Is my Russian a dud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Dont get me wrong, I love him to death. But he has no personality and everytime I go near him he "hisses" and hides in his shell. I know he was WC cuz I got him at Petco. Is that the reason why he is so scared? I saw what those little guys go through to get here. Ive tried "socializing" him and petting him and stuff but hes still very skiddish. He does fine all by himself eating and basking. There are no medical issues. Just wondering if he will ever have this great personality that I hear many Russians have...

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Hi Michelle- I was wondering how old your Russian. Is and how long you've had him? I've had mine for about 8 months and she still gets nervous. When I adopted her she was already about 4 years old and had had a rough life. The hissing you hear is from the air that gets expelled when they pull their head in. If you recently got him I would limit the handling to give him a chance to settle in. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but when I walk by mine, I talk in a lower softer voice and I don't rush up on her. I just take it slow and she seems less nervous. I am also very conscious of how I pick her up and hold her when I need to soak her or take her outside so that she stresses less. I hope this helps.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Maybe it will just take time for him to adjust to you. How long have you had him? I would just ease into your contact with him, don't go sticking your hand in trying to hand feed him, just sit by him when he is eating so he will get used to you being around. He may never be as outgoing as some russians but i'm sure he will get more accustomed to you over time.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
I know mine is full grown. Other than that I wouldnt have a clue as to what age he is. I got him in June of this year. I had another question about their behavior. What does it mean when they wave their arms and head back and forth? He did this once or twice to my daughter while she was holding him. I thought he was freaking out and told her not to pick him up any more. But when I got to thinking about it, wouldnt they just hide in their shell if they are scared? Maybe I misstook his body language.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
most are never going to want or like to "play".. its not what they do..
but they should get used to you being the Food God, and like to see you coming with a
favorite treat or just food in general.
it can take time and it will vary.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Give it some more time, I think. With many animals, it just takes time.

Heck, after six months my rescued mutt still has trust issues and he's 'domesticated'.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
LOL, is my russian a dud? I love it. That question could be answered so many ways, and yet, it pertains to a tortoise. And the post "he doesnt do anything". Fantastic, a dud....

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
I guess I just see all these posts about how their torts come when they are called or the video of that one that moves his butt when hes being scratched with the toothbrush. I was just hoping mine would be a little something like that...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Michelle, that is Awesome! This is by far the best thread I've ever read on TFO.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Seriously, I am dying here. Thats what you expected of your tortoise. Tears are coming out of my eyes and I can barely type this. You are a gem. Ahhh....Perfect!

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
onarock said:
Michelle, that is Awesome! This is by far the best thread I've ever read on TFO.

Glad you enjoy my bunk tort. lol

onarock said:
Seriously, I am dying here. Thats what you expected of your tortoise. Tears are coming out of my eyes and I can barely type this. You are a gem. Ahhh....Perfect!

Aww come on now, I was just expecting something other than a tortoise that sits in the corner all day...

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
Oh no I definately wont get rid of him. My family and I enjoy him. I know thats not how it sounds, but I guess I am just saying it wasnt what I expected. And I was just asking to see if he was normal or not.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I'm sorry. I'm not laughing at you, I just enjoy your choice of words, a DUD or my BUNK tortoise. Its like the person who orders something from a catalog and when it comes it doesnt work or do what is implied. And that video, Wow, your expectations were high, I mean Everest high. I'm not doubting your ability to raise this tortoise one bit. You just sound like a free spirited person and I enjoyed it. Thanks for my early morning laugh

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
onarock said:
I'm sorry. I'm not laughing at you, I just enjoy your choice of words, a DUD or my BUNK tortoise. Its like the person who orders something from a catalog and when it comes it doesnt work or do what is implied. And that video, Wow, your expectations were high, I mean Everest high. I'm not doubting your ability to raise this tortoise one bit. You just sound like a free spirited person and I enjoyed it. Thanks for my early morning laugh

Your very welcome, most people dont enjoy my choice of words and become offended lol:p:p

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
finleafeater said:
Alright, well its very normal. He wont be doing much. Build him a garden out back.. then you will see his full potential.

I would love to, but we live in an apt. I do plan on taking him out next summer and sitting with him in the yard though.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Well.. I don't personally have a russian but they are all different. My two greeks and I would normally play the starring game. I find it really amusing. My older leopard who was super shy and would always hide at every opprotunity has recently started to become less shy. My.. little baby leopard is fearless. I put my hand in to clean the tank and he'll just push me away (try to) or walk up and around my hand! Sometimes he falls over and then gives me the what are you doing look. They are all different and it will take time for them to understand you aren't a threat. However the you associated with food idea is good. Then you'll become the food goddess!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Michelle- that turtle isn't dancing like that because he likes it. He's trying to get the point across of "Dude, get off me! I'm a dude not a chick!" The people we adopted our big Sulcata told us that was his "trick". They thought it was hysterical as did we until I learnescon this forum that it was his way of telling us to knock it off and get off him. Give it time, he may come around. Do you have a balcony at your apartment? You could build him a protected box out there that he could spend some time getting sunshine when it gets warmer.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
We have a community balcony, but its pretty rickety. I dont think it would hold a bunch of dirt and stuff. Hopefully we can rent a house or something, but in the meantime I will just have to sit with him outside a couple times a week. I thought that turtle was moving back and forth cuz he liked being scratched. You think he would just walk away or turn around and bite the toothbrush...

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Hahhaha, onarock :p I enjoyed your choice of words tooooooo :)

Torts aren't really pets you "play" with haha, they're more for watching and enjoyiinnng! My sister just got a Guinea Pig and she's more the type of pet to play with if your not looking for a big pet. I'm sure it would be fun to bring him out in the yard and chase him around though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.