Shipping a grown tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

EP429

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
I'm working with someone on shipping a 6 year old redfoot, the first quote was through Shipyourreptiles.com which was $177.
I've never received a larger tort via shipping, I was wondering if this sounded about right? Shipping on my hatchling was $50 next day, just doesn't seem like $127 is a reasonable difference.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Shipping, it seems has gone up recently, but that just seems unreasonable. It might be cheaper air freight like delta dash. I received a large (over 20#) tortoise shipped by delta a couple years ago, and it was $100.
EP429 said:
I'm working with someone on shipping a 6 year old redfoot, the first quote was through Shipyourreptiles.com which was $177.
I've never received a larger tort via shipping, I was wondering if this sounded about right? Shipping on my hatchling was $50 next day, just doesn't seem like $127 is a reasonable difference.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Shipping big tortoises is much more expensive because of the size of box and weight of the tortoise(s). How big is the box?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It may sound high but may not be, it all depends on the weight and box size. The last box of tortoises I got was a 12x12 cube that weighed 5 pounds,the actual shipping cost was $90. The shipper is a business, I believe they get a reduced rate because of the volume of packages they ship out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've only used shipyourreptiles once, but I think they inflate their price a bit. I received two adult redfoots across the country for that amount using just FedEx...it's quite a process to be authorized to ship live animals through FedEx though.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have been using Shipyourreptiles for several years. Their prices are very good compared to the regular FedEx rates.
The hefty price on the shipping is due to the box size and weight. It is expensive to ship a large tortoises through most carriers. As someone mentioned, the cheaper way to go on shipping a larger tortoise is somebody like Delta Dash.

Islandsaints

5 Year Member
Knotts Island
I had three Sulcata's shipped to me, the smallest was around 10 lbs the largest was close to 20 lbs, not including the dog crates they were sent in. They were sent by Southwest Airlines and it was 90.00 for all of them.

Tracy

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Sounds like an inexperienced shipper to me.......However, shipping adult Tortoises is an expensive ordeal to begin with.......

The last Sulcata I had shipped across the country was 35lbs, and cost me $132 using my account........

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I used USPS and couple times, as I know a few others that did and it seemed work out.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Shipping rate depends on actual package weight, but also the dimensional size of the package. Large packages do indeed get exponentially more expensive to ship. You want to use the smallest box that you can, while still having proper insulation (at least 3/4") and proper spacing for the given species.

It is also more expensive to ship Cali to Miami, as opposed to Philly to NYC, of course.

Our Overnight rates at ShipYourReptiles are hard coded to start at 20% less than the FedEx rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.