Shipping a tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Is anyone well versed in tortoise shipping? I am in the northeast on holiday and would very much like to take a problem case home with me (healthy but shell deformed) but am uncomfortable about shipping since it is soooo cold here (30-50degrees) and do not believe they are allowed on any commercial aircraft in the passenger cabin. Anyone have any experience with this? I know there are heating packs that could be used but it seems like so much could go wrong that I am anxious to attempt it without hearing from someone who has done this repeatedly with great success. It's a tiny yearling... I welcome feedback from both positive and negative experiences because I think this little bugger would be much happier at my place but do not want to relocate him if the stress of doing so would outweigh the benefits of relocation. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Katherine:

Its a bad time of year to ship a tortoise, especially one that small. You might talk to some of the larger breeder/sellers here on the forum for advice:

GBTortoises, Jackrat, Allegra, Patman, hermanniChris, TylerStewart

I'm sure I've left some out, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Check with your airline, because I recently had tortoises brought to me that way from Hawaii. They were boxed and brought with ticketed passengers as extra luggage for $25 and were carried in cargo. In essence, they were boxed as shipped but traveled with someone who was bringing them over to me. I don't know if he could be carried on, but at least he would be on the same plane as you.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Lulu said:
Check with your airline, because I recently had tortoises brought to me that way from Hawaii. They were boxed and brought with ticketed passengers as extra luggage for $25 and were carried in cargo. In essence, they were boxed as shipped but traveled with someone who was bringing them over to me. I don't know if he could be carried on, but at least he would be on the same plane as you.

Any idea what airline? I am having no luck at all.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Let me check how it was done with the person that sent them and get back to you. I'm pretty clueless about the whole process too.

He says he packaged them to ship and checked them in at cargo and gave the flight number. He said Delta, United and Continental will do it. Continental has specific pet shipping called "Quick Pack" that United also uses. Delta has "dash." He says you need to tell them you are trying to ship a tortoise, but you do not need to be a known shipper. Each airline will require a 24 hour notice.

Quick pack has climate controlled facility at cargo, during transportation and on the plane. He suggests a 48 hour heat pack to be safe. If you can't get one, he says the 7 hour hand warmers will work, but put 6 in the box. Someone else can chime in here, but note that this isn't advice for regular shipping, just for going on the plane in cargo.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for going out of your way to inquire for me; I genuinely appreciate you! I had checked with united, american and US air but not delta or continental both of which sound promising. I'm going to call around tonight; thanks again for the leads.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Not a problem at all. Anything to help you get a new little one to a better home.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Shipping Tortoises, or anything cold blooded is an easy process as long as you understand the dynamics involved. If you don't, you shouldn't attempt it.........No sense in trying to explain the process if you can't put it in a context you can understand........I ship year round in the worst temperatures, and I very rarely have issues......However, it's up to you to make that judgement call.......

Unless you are an approved shipper with any of the Airlines, you're not going to be able to use them........It took me almost 9 months alone to be verified through Delta.......

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
My source says that is only true over certain weights. I'd just say that Katherine should call the airlines and see what they say. I doubt this would be the first time someone would want to transport their pet tortoise with them on an airline flight, and I would expect that some airlines are set up to accommodate it.

In the alternative, perhaps one of the certified and experienced shippers might be willing to assist Katherine with shipping from her location.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
katherine said:
Thanks so much for going out of your way to inquire for me; I genuinely appreciate you! I had checked with united, american and US air but not delta or continental both of which sound promising. I'm going to call around tonight; thanks again for the leads.

How big is the tortoise? You should be able to ship via Delta quickly and with no problems. There should be someone competent enough at the Delta counter that you could speak to directly who could walk you through the whole process.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I'm also being told that if the tortoise is small enough you may be able to carry it on with hand inspection and that you will probably need a vet cert. So call the airline. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Something else you'll need to consider, if it's an African tortoise, it will likely need a vet health certificate. (lulu beat me to this) :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your help!

For future reference, in the eastern US Delta does allow for SMALL tortoises to be carried on board at this time. The only certification required is a certification of health for the animal in question. They also allow cargo shipment of tortoises of any size but due to the time of year/temperature where I am looking to ship from I did not find this option to be the best choice for me. If I run into any roadblocks the day of travel I will let you all know, but as of now I do not anticipate any.

Status
Not open for further replies.