Shelly's New Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi All! :)

Well Shelly's new enclosure is finally at a point where she can stay in it during the day. It still has a ways to go in regards to getting the plants and hides in, but she's secure and can enjoy the warm So Cal sun!

2013-05-27 18.44.33.jpg
2013-05-31 08.18.28.jpg
2013-05-24 18.26.04.jpg

Have a great day everybody!
Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Wow it is super nice! I might have to make a portable version! Thanks for the inspiration

Cksnffr

5 Year Member
Nice. Is there anything underground to prevent escape via burrowing?

dlrowe

5 Year Member
Looks awesome!! I love the solar light, what a Great idea!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using TortForum mobile app

trentlee111

5 Year Member
Louisiana
What type of bedding did you use in your enclosure?

What type of bedding did you use?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice!!!!! Great job!!!!!!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great job, looks really nice. Just a couple tweaks if you don't mind. I would put the water dish level with the ground and maybe plant a couple plants for added security.

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all the nice comments :) I know I may have gone overboard with the structure, but I wanted to make sure it held up in case of an atomic bomb :) I bought some door hinges at Restore this weekend and hopefully will get those put on this week. I also got a small bucket that I'm going to bury to make into one of her hides. I also have been collecting more flat rocks to continue her pathway and have two more solar lights to put in. Shelly has been loving it. I'll post more pictures as I continue to improve it.

Any other comments and suggestions are appreciated!

To answer some of your questions:

Cksnffr said:
Nice. Is there anything underground to prevent escape via burrowing?

The wood on the sides is buried a few inches all around. She hasn't started digging too much yet. She only digs in her hide a little bit to get settled in. I have a web cam watching her all day so I can keep an eye on her. I will definitely be doing some additional work on the enclosure to make sure she can't get out.

trentlee111 said:
What type of bedding did you use in your enclosure?

What type of bedding did you use?

I used top soil I purchased from Home Depot mixed with coco coir.

wellington said:
Great job, looks really nice. Just a couple tweaks if you don't mind. I would put the water dish level with the ground and maybe plant a couple plants for added security.

Thanks for the info. Her enclosure is far from done, but it's at least to a point I feel safe leaving her in it during the day. The water dish is dug into the ground, there's actually only 1/4" lip. I have violas and zinnias growing in pots outside the enclosure and once they are big enough they will be transplanted.

Thanks again everybody!

Tammie

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
So will she live out there all of the time? What happens when it rains? How do they stay warm? Just trying to get ideas. Thanks

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
65redroses said:
So will she live out there all of the time? What happens when it rains? How do they stay warm? Just trying to get ideas. Thanks

No, she comes in at night and she's only out there when it's warm enough. After I get the new enclosure squared away with the plants and hides, I'm going to build an add-on to one side of the enclosure that will be raised off the ground and heated.

Right now if it's chilly in the morning I don't put her out. My girlfriend will put her outside when she gets off work. Once I get the heated add-on done I won't have to worry about her being cold in the morning. I'll probably still bring her in at night. At least for a while longer. I'd worry about her if I left her out there. As it is now, I have a webcam pointed at her enclosure, so I can watch her at work. :)

Tammie

theelectraco

5 Year Member
How much did this cost? I'm having to redo my Redfoots enclosure and move it to the other side of the yard with better sun and really like this idea.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
theelectraco said:
How much did this cost? I'm having to redo my Redfoots enclosure and move it to the other side of the yard with better sun and really like this idea.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

I've spent about $275. The most expensive thing was the wire mesh. I could have gone with something less expensive, but I have 2 dogs and there might be a puppy in the future and I wanted to make sure it held up well.

Tammie

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
RE: Shelly's New Outdoor Enclosure - new pic

This weekend I was able to get a little more done on Shelly's enclosure. The doors now have hinges and her lit rock pathway has been completed. She also got a new hide, another water dish and some flowers :) I've planted dandelions and chicory in removable trays, but those won't be ready for a while. Yesterday I hung her light out there so she can stay warm in the mornings before the sun hits her enclosure. It's all coming together nicely!!

2013-06-11 08.24.47.jpg

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.